STEMfest Explain It! Video Competition Rules
Stay tuned for details about the 2015 competition!
- Must explain a concept, topic, idea, phenomena, or theory in any of the STEM fields (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Math). Feel free to be creative. No ‘talking head’ videos, please. Don’t just tell us – show us!
- Should be between 2 – 4 minutes long.
- Must contain only your own or your group’s original work – including music, sound effects, photography. See Resource Guide for a list of creative tools you can use.
- Can be any production type including but not limited to live action video, animation, or animated photo essay. (An animated photo essay is a series of still images that have been strung together using video editing software and set to music, narration, or both.)
- Must not be boring.
Entry Guidelines - Coming Soon!
Entries will be divided into groups based on age/grade level. Entries must be completed by groups of 4 or fewer students playing a central role. Categories are
- Individual/Small Group: K-2
- Individual/Small Group: 3-5
- Individual/Small Group: 6-8
- Individual/Small Group: 9-12
Judging will be based on the following criteria.
- Accuracy – Was your explanation correct?
- Technical Quality (i.e. focused images, clear sound, interesting graphics)
- Overall Effectiveness
Winners will be announced and publicly screened on October 17th at STEMfest. Additional honors may be awarded at the judges’ discretion.
- 1st place winner(s) will receive one voucher for the entry toward their choice of one STEM Saturday class each not to exceed $125.00 in value and one t-shirt each.
- 2nd place winner(s) will receive a voucher toward for the entry their choice of one STEM Saturday class each not to exceed $80.00 in value and one t-shirt each.
- 3rd place winner(s) will receive a voucher for the entry toward their choice of one STEM Saturday class each not to exceed $40.00 in value and one t-shirt each.
Workshop topics and dates will be provided by STEM Outreach and vary based on the prize bestowed. .
Resources and Tools
You don’t have the right software to create your video? Don’t worry! Here is a list of just a few easy and free tools you can use to create your video. There are lots more available online.
Video/Animated Slideshow Editing
- Microsoft Movie Maker – Video editing tool
- Microsoft PhotoStory – Create animated slide shows with music and narration
- Wax – Video SoftwareMusic
- Aviary – Online music creator
- Audacity – Record and mix your own music or voice
- Hobnox – Create your own high energy tracks
- JamStudio – Create your own music online
- SAM Animation – Watch the intro video on this one. There are some great ideas!!
- Scratch – Create and program your own animation
Mailing Address for Video Submissions
STEMfest Video Competition
C/O STEM Outreach
Lowden Hall 307
Northern Illinois University
DeKalb, IL 60115
STEMfest 2015 is Saturday, October 17th!
2014 Submission Checklist
- Read competition guidelines thoroughly.
- Request access to MashPlant Studio by October 5, 2014.
Access Code: ExplainIt14
(Access approval may take 24 hours!)
- Complete video entry form by October 8, 2014.
- Submit signed parental permission slips for all students appearing in videos. Must be received by October 8, 2014.
- Upload video to MashPlant Studio by noon on October 8, 2014.
- Come to STEMfest on October 18, 2014!