Southern Region Blog Contest Rules and Guidelines
Deadline: January 13, 2014, 12:00 a.m. CST
We are seeking entries for the Far Western Region's page on the Society blog, WORDY by Nature. Contestants are invited to submit a blog article of no less than 400 and no more than 800 words on the following topic:
Convention Stories: Regale us with your Sigma Tau Delta adventures! We'd love to hear your personal thoughts and stories about our annual conventions. Tell us about your favorite convention location, travel stories, or favorite Sigma Tau Delta events. Did you make any new friends or pen pals? Were you moved or inspired by one of your fellow Deltan's presentations? Did you present any bad poetry, perform in any T-shirt skits, or get to meet any of our featured authors? This topic is also open to members who haven't yet attended a convention. If your chapter hosted a common reader event, if you're looking forward to your first convention, or currently working on your panel submission, let us know!
Think about your interaction with Sigma Tau Delta in relation to our conventions. We all have those special memories and interesting connections with our fellow members, the memories that allow us to truly appreciate Sigma Tau Delta for all of the opportunities the Society offers. Share with us your tales of hilarity, narratives of inspiration, compelling success stories, or descriptions of discovery-all influenced by the annual conventions.
A first, second, and third place prize will be offered in the amounts of $100, $50, and $30 respectively. At the judges' discretion, up to two runner-up entries will be considered.
- You must be a member of a Sigma Tau Delta chapter within the Southern Region.
- You are allowed only one entry.
- You must send your blog entry as an attachment, and in the email to which it is attached, you must provide:
- Your name
- Email address
- Name of school and name of your Sigma Tau Delta chapter (see Chapter Directory)
- Year you were inducted into Sigma Tau Delta
- Whether you are planning to attend the 2014 Convention
- Prizes will be awarded at the 2014 Sigma Tau Delta International Convention in Savannah, and winning entries will be published on WORDY by Nature starting the week of the annual convention. Winners need not be present to win.
- Winners will be paid in the form of a check, so be sure to indicate to whom you want the check made out to if different from your signed name.
- The deadline for all blog entries is January 13, 2014, 12:00 a.m. CST.
- Email your completed blog entry to email@example.com.
- Must be 12-point, Times New Roman font
- Must be submitted as a Word document (.doc or .docx)
- Must follow the Sigma Tau Delta Writing Style Guide and MLA
- Should skip a line between paragraphs
- Must be accompanied by a headshot of the writer
- Should have the following header:
Author (list first name and last name)
Office (if applicable: e.g., President, Secretary, Chapter Sponsor)
In addition to the criteria that the article address the contest topic, and meet the requirements listed above, articles will be judged according to a rubric which incorporates many, if not all of the following criteria:
- Inspires appreciation of words, language, and literature
- Furthers, promotes, or highlights one of the objectives of the Society
- Provides original content (don't duplicate the website)
- Shares relevant and useful information for Society members
- Containes a takeaway or key thought for members
- Includes a call to action or a question that promotes conversation
- Logical, clear, and accurate
- Written from a personal perspective (first person narrative)
- Informative and/or persuasive in nature
- Well written, professional, and representative of the high standards of the Society
- Eye-catching, grabs the reader's attention
- Meets a need (the reader feels like he/she needs to read it)