The Society for Technical Communication
Join for $50 ($25 off the regular student membership fee), and receive membership through December, 2014. To receive the discount promo code, include in an email to your full name, school, semester/year of induction, and expected graduation date.
Benefits of Student Membership in STC
STC student memberships receive all of the classic benefits listed below AND membership in one student chapter, one professional chapter, the Academic Special Interest Group (SIG), and one additional SIG of their choosing.
- Members-only discounts on live webinars, on-line courses, and STC's annual Summit
- Access to over 140 free, on-demand, archived seminars on topics ranging from User Experience and Accessibility to Content Management and Darwin Information Typing Architecture (DITA)
- 14-day advance access to the newest employment opportunities available in the STC Job Bank
- Ability to compete for three scholarships offered through the STC Academic and Technical Editing Special Interest Groups
- Ability to submit proposals for topics at the STC annual Summit
- Opportunities for professional recognition through student competitions hosted by STC's Academic SIG and the International Summit Awards
- A copy of STC's Salary Database, containing the most up-to-date information from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics on growth in technical communicator jobs, where the jobs are, and average salaries
- Online access to industry-leading publications Intercom and Technical Communication, STC's Notebook blog, TechComm Today e-newsletter
- Access to the members-only sections of the STC website, including the MySTC social network, community leadership resources, the STC Member Directory, and more
- An affinity program that provides discounts on software, products, and services from companies STC members work with every day
- Continued assistance after graduation through our early career membership New TC Professional
- Professional support through our global network of 5,500 professionals and over 500 students
Additionally STC has a growing number of agreements with related organizations like the Usability Professionals Association and the American Medical Writers Association which often provide discounted entrance to their annual conferences and other events.
"From Starving Artist to Well-Paid Writer: Transitioning from Fiction to Technical Communication"
by Andrea Wenger, Intercom
"The Tech Edge: Mentoring English Majors for Careers Today"
by Bethany Aguad and Rachel Houghton, The Sigma Tau Delta Newsletter