Department of Public Administration
Resources for Mid-Career Students
A Mid-career Student enters the MPA (Masters in Public Administration) program with at least two years of professional public management experience in a government or nonprofit agency. These students are usually employed full-time in a mid-level management position or higher and they enroll in one or two classes each semester to earn their MPA degree.
|February 1: preferred deadline||September 1: preferred deadline||February 1: preferred deadline|
|July 15: final deadline||December 10: final deadline||June 1: preferred deadline|
Mid-career students complete an online application through the graduate school with an application fee of $40.
- A completed online application
- Name and e-mail address of one academic reference (You will be prompted for the e-mail address of your reference. Your reference will then receive an email from the graduate school with instructions for submitting your reference.)
- Names and e-mail addresses of two professional references (You will be prompted for the e-mail addresses of your references. Your reference will then receive an email from the graduate school with instructions for submitting your reference.)
- Official test scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test. The NIU Institutional Code is #1559.
- Official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended. Send transcripts to: The Graduate School, Northern Illinois University, 223 Adams Hall, DeKalb, Illinois, 60115
- After your application has been received by the Graduate School, a Career Goals statement and resume will be required. Please follow the instructions in the email they will send you.
Applicants should apply for admission in the year in which they actually intend to enroll.