VIII.6. Financial Statements
The Office of Budget and Planning posts financial statements on departmental budgets periodically online. These statements provide timely and accurate information on departmental funding sources and are useful for better planning and decision-making. The financial statements include the following:
- Financial Summary Report (NFSRGL.XLS) â an overall financial summary report of a departmental funding source and gives an accurate indication of budgeted, spent, obligated and balance amounts.
- HR/GL Personnel Report (NHRSGL.XLS) â a summary of funds expended on personnel such as faculty, staff, graduate assistants, extra-help, student workers, etc.
- Financial Detail Report (NPRDGL.XLS) â a summary of all the expense items other than personnel charged to a funding source.
- Obligation Report (NOBLGL.XLS) â a summary of all the obligated amounts for various expense categories for a funding source.
- Budget Detail Report (NBUDGL.XLS) â a summary of all the budget-related transactions such as allocations, transfers, etc. (link sample report with call out boxes explaining various items in the report)
All chairs must familiarize themselves with these reports and the department office staff is usually helpful for verifying each report to ensure if the charges have been recorded accurately and if any adjustments should be made through budget transfer to correct any deficits in certain line items of the budget.
The financial reports are posted online on a monthly basis for the first 10-months of the fiscal year, and then on a bi-weekly or weekly basis as the fiscal year come to a close. Each report posted online is identified with a distinctive filename with the following conventions:
- OOOOOOO_FF_YYYY_PP_NRRRgl.xls, where OOOOOOO is the cost center, FF is the fund such as 02, 04, etc., YYYY is the fiscal year, PP is the accounting period such as month 10 of the fiscal year, N designates an NIU developed report layout, and RRR is the report name as follows: FSR â Financial Summary Report, HRS â Human Resources Period To Date, OBL â Obligations Period To Date, PRD â Period Actuals Detail.
Last Updated: 8/4/2009