Extra Employment for Graduate Assistants

Section IV. Item 10.

In unusual instances, the Graduate School may allow for the extra employment of full-time (20-hour-per-week) graduate assistants if the additional work is "infrequent" and "irregular." If a department wishes to employ a graduate assistant for extra time, the Request for Extra Employment for Graduate Assistant Form must be submitted to the office of the Associate Dean of the Graduate School by the department or other unit requesting the employment.

Extra employment of a graduate assistant holding a half-time (10 hours per week) or three-quarter time (15 hours per week) appointment may also be requested by completing the Request for Extra Employment for Graduate Assistant form. Students on these appointment types may be approved for the difference between the assistantship duty obligation and 20 hours per week.

In addition to consideration of the information on this form, decisions to approve the request will be based on the student's good academic standing and satisfactory progress toward the degree. Permission may take as long as ten (10) days to process and is not guaranteed. The student should not begin the extra work until permission has been granted by the Graduate School. Students will not be paid for additional work performed if this permission is not granted.

The Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) strictly limits foreign students entering the United States on an F-1 visa to 20 hours of total employment per week while the University is in session. During University recess periods, an F-1 student may work on campus 40 hours per week if he or she is eligible, has permission from his or her department chair/director of graduate studies and the Graduate School, and intends to register for the next term. A student entering the country on a J-1 visa is limited to the employment stipulations specifically noted on his or her visa. Students approved for extra employment will be paid via extra compensation. A time record sheet and an Additional Pay Form are to be submitted to the Office of Graduate Assistantship Employment at Human Resource Services in order for payment to be made.


Approved by Graduate Council, May 4, 1992
Modified by Graduate School, October 29, 1998
Editorial modification, February 6, 2004; July 13, 2010