The Presidential Commission on the Status of Minorities is charged with:
- Annually review the personal process of NIU to determine its impact on the affirmative recruitment, employment and retention of minority administrators, faculty and staff.
- Annually review admission and academic program policies to determine their effectiveness in the affirmative admission and retention of minority students.
- Annually review campus committees, commissions and boards to insure the equitable representation of minority perspectives in university policies and practices.
- Annually review the quality of life for minorities at NIU.
- Prepare an annual report to the president describing the status of minorities and recommending activities to improve opportunities for minorities.
- Develop and implement programs to ascertain concerns and interests of minority students at NIU and recommend activities to improve opportunities for students.
- Develop and implement programs to ascertain concerns and interests of minority faculty and staff and recommend activities to improve opportunities for faculty and staff.
- Assist Affirmative Action and Equity Compliance in achieving the goals of the university's affirmative action program.
- Advise the president on activities to facilitate effective communication between minorities and Northern Illinois University communities.