How to Submit Requests for Heating Plant Services
If a NIU Department requires services relating to cooling, heating, or ventilation, the East Heating Plant can be contacted as follows:
- Telephone Number:
- Fax Number:
In addition, the Heating Plant personnel provides 24 hour Emergency Services throughout the year. If a NIU Department needs emergency Physical Plant services and they are unable to contact anyone at the normal telephone numbers, they should call the Heating Plant at 753-1151.
The NIU Heating Plant is responsible for the overall maintenance of the University's main campus and various satellite campuses relating to the following:
- Central ventilation, heating, and central air
- Energy management and building automation
- Hot water distribution for heating and steam
- Chilled water distribution for air conditioning
- Distilled water systems
Heating Plant - Facts and Data
- FY2006ís peak demand was in December at 78,124,000 lbs. of steam. For the total year, the demand was 498,520,000 lbs. of steam.
- There are 9 boilers with a total capacity of 660,000 lbs. of steam per hour.
- The four (4) West Heating Plant boilers are capable of 240,000 lbs. of steam per hour. The five (5) East Heating Plant boilers are capable of 420,000 lbs. of steam per hour.
- Last year all of the steam was produced using natural gas.
- A 24-hour, 365-day-a-year operation is maintained with the following shifts:
- 7 AM to 3 PM Shift
- 3 PM to 11 PM Shift
- 11 PM to 7 AM Shift
- Management - Chief Plant Engineer, Assistant Plant Operating Engineer, Account Technician
- Supervisory - Lead Engineers (4)
- HVAC Maintenance - Stationary Engineers (20)
- Equipment Control - Stationary Fireman (7)
- Maintenance - Stationary Fireman Helpers (6)
- Sheet Metal (2 extra help)
- Roof Repair (1)
- Phone: 753-1151
- Fax: 753-2121