Quick Navigation


Federal Sponsors Implement Standardized Progress Reports for Research Projects

An initiative of the Research Business Models (RBM) Subcommittee of the National Science and Technology Council (NSTC) has resulted in federal agencies adopting the Research Performance Progress Report (RPPR) to provide greater consistency in the administration of federal research awards. The RPPR will be used by federal agencies that support research and research-related activities for receipt of interim progress reports; it is intended to replace other interim performance reporting formats currently in use.

NIU chosen as pilot institution for NSF RPPR implementation

NIU was selected by NSF to participate in a pilot to transition report submissions from FastLane to Research.gov. The OSP Award Coordinator has contacted all PIs whose NSF progress reports were affected by this pilot. An announcement with additional information about NSF’s transition to the new RPPR can be found on the OSP website at: http://www.osp.niu.edu/osp/newsletter/dec2012/standardized_reports_announcement.pdf.

NIH implementation plans

Many NIH grantees have the option to use the RPPR for Streamlined Non-competing Award Process (SNAP) progress reports beginning October 19, 2012. NIH grantees with R01, R03, and R21 awards can use this revised process now, and NIH expects to mandate the RPPR for all SNAP awards by April, 2013. Progress reports for multi-year funded awards in which the project period and budget period are the same and are longer than one year (such as the R15 NIH Academic Research Enhancement Award, AREA), however, will continue to use the Multi-Year Funded (MYF) report for reporting annual progress.

Additional information

Each federal agency has a plan to implement the RPPR process. PIs may view agency’s plans for implementing the RPPR here: http://www.nsf.gov/bfa/dias/policy/rppr/index.jsp. PIs with questions regarding their progress reports should contact the OSP Award Coordinator, Rachael Andel, at rachael_andel@niu.edu or 753-6493.