OPERATING STAFF COUNCIL MEETING

MINUTES 4/13/06

8:30AM – Holmes Student Center 406

 

Present:    Gay Campbell, Sara Clayton, Marcia Dick, Margie Foshe, Linda Jennings, Theresa Kinniry, Joe Koch, Nancy Schuneman,  Julia Sober, LaRonda Thuestad and Rachel Turner.  

 

Absent:     Elizabeth Buck, Jason Hutchison, Glenda Jones, Jay Monteiro and Andy Small

 

Guests:     Rose Miller and Tim Griffin

 

I.                    Call to Order

 

President Rachel Turner called the regular meeting of the Operating Staff Council to order at 8:40 a.m. on Thursday, April 13, 2006.

 

II.         Approval of Agenda

 

A motion was made to accept the agenda.  The motion was seconded and passed.   

 

III.        Approval of Minutes of the March 9, 2006, Meeting

 

A motion was made to accept the minutes. The motion was seconded and passed.

 

IV.        Approval of Minutes of the April 5, 2006 Special Meeting

 

A motion was made to accept the minutes.  The motion was seconded and passed.

 

V.         Treasurer’s Report

 

No Report.  The Treasurer’s report for April will be approved at the May meeting.

 

VI.        Announcements/Correspondence

 

A.         Turner announced that President Peters is scheduled to attend the June meeting of the Council.

 

B.         Turner announced that the 37th Annual Operating Staff Outstanding Service Awards Banquet will take place Thursday, May 4, 2006.  Nancy Schuneman asked if the entire Council is invited to the event.  Turner said only members of the awards committee, and the honorees are invited.

 

C.         Turner announced there will be a retirement party for past OSC member and current SPS President Shey Lowman on May 5 from 1 to 4 p.m. at Human Resources.

 

D.         Turner passed around a letter from state Sen. Brad Burzynski thanking the members of the Council who attended the forum on pension issues. She also read an e-mail from a constituent at the Hoffman Estates campus concerning the pension issue. 

 

E.                  Turner said that she, Shey Lowman and Paul Stoddard met with Steve Cunningham about the 4-day work week.  The early announcement about the summer schedule was greatly appreciated by the Council.

 

F.                  Rose Miller said she appreciates the progress that has been made in recent years regarding salaries, but she wanted to make clear that if there is ever again a merit component to raises, the SAC wants to look at compression issues so that those secretaries who have been here longer are not making the same as a newly-hired employee and she encouraged the Council to keep this issue in mind.

 

G.                 Turner said that she had spoken to Tim Griffin regarding the Council’s concerns about a request from a constituent for a third-party observer at a meeting between the constituent and her supervisor.  The Council felt that participating in something like that may lead to more involvement in the case and Council members should not be put in the position of mediator.  Griffin said that is not necessarily the case.  He said that both the Faculty and SPS Councils already provide a service like this.

 

After some discussion, it was decided that the Council would compile a list of those Council members who would be willing to serve as a third-party observer.  Julia Sober suggested that those individuals from the Council who wish to participate should possibly go through a training course to make sure it is clear what their role would be.  She also suggested that a follow up be conducted following the event to see how things are going for the employee.

 

H.                  LaRonda Thuestad invited Council members to attend an open house at the parking office on April 17.  The building has recently been remodeled.  She also said that Lot 20 (Fieldhouse Lot) will be under construction this summer.  She said they will be installing a new entrance from Lucinda Drive. She also said the fine for parking in a handicap parking space without a handicap sticker will be $250.  The state of Illinois established a range of fines from $250 to $350.  The Parking Committee voted on the $250 amount.  It was noted that the new yellow signs identifying service spots are very helpful and make the spots easier to find.

 

VII.       Committee Reports

           

A.         Personnel/Staff Developments/Benefits

           

            Clayton said she e-mailed Deb Haliczer about the Benefits Fair which will take

place on May 11 and everything appears to be ready to go.  Clayton said the event has been moved from the Capitol Room to the Regency Room in the Holmes Student Center because of the increased number of vendors  Clayton will update the flyer and including an article in the next Operating Staff News. 

 

B.         Elections and Appointments

 

Joe Koch reported that there are 8 candidates for 5 positions on the Council. He said the

ballots will be printed and mailed soon. Once the completed ballots are received, Council

members will be asked to count them.  Koch will contact Donna Mathesius to check on

vacancies on any of the committees or commissions with OS representation.

 

C.         Special Events

 

            LaRonda Thuestad sent a letter to Ellen Anderson asking for the free Pepsi products.  We will get 10 cases.  She said the flyers are ready and will be sent out later this month.

 

D.         Public Relations.

 

Nancy Schuneman reported that Karen Smith from Employee Wellness, Danell Nixon

from Document Services, Mariano Spizzirri from Media Services, and Judy Burgess from

Environmental Health and Safety were named the winners of the Operating Staff

Outstanding Service Awards.  The winners’ names will be published in the next edition of

Northern Today and letters will be sent to the nominees.  Schuneman also said that Amy

Polzin and Joan Metzger will serve as chairs of next year’s committee.

           

            E.         Visiting Committees/Guests. – None.

 

            F.         EAC No Report. 

 

            G.         UAC 

 

                        Turner attended the Board of Trustees meeting.  Among things approved were:

 

                        *  an increase in fees, room and board

                        *  sprinkler system in the residence halls

                        *  College Ave. reconstruction

                        *  a new elevator for Zulauf Hall

                        *  sabbatical leaves

                        *  a new minor in Cognitive Studies

                        *  Denise Schoenbachler as dean of the College of Business

 

The board also discussed the demolition and reconstruction of married student housing.  There is no time frame established for this project.

 

            H.         University Council

 

1.       President Peters talked about the budget.  It looks like the university will still get the 1.2% anticipated increase.

 

2.       Steve Pace talked about the implementation of the new student information system.

 

3.       A resolution was passed for outgoing Provost Ivan Legg in appreciation of his service to the university.

 

4.       There was discussion about the understaffing problem in the Building Services department.  If a work order is submitted, it is difficult for people to get updates on the status of the work order.  It was suggested that a website be constructed so that individuals could go into the computer to check the status of their work order.  It was discussed that a student or students from the Computer Science department be considered for this task.

 

5.       There were a few changes to the Academic Policy and Procedure Manual.  Sober asked if the Procedure Manual was available on line.

 

6.       Paul Stoddard was nominated as President of the Faculty Senate and Executive Secretary of University Council.

 

VIII.      Old Business – None.

 

IX.        New Business  -

 

Turner reported that in her meeting with Steve Cunningham, he pointed out that the wording on the university statute regarding employee evaluations be changed from “mandated” to “recommended.”  Koch pointed out that HR ought to contact supervisors to make sure evaluations are being done.  Margie Foshe said that since there have been no merit raises in recent years, supervisors do not do them.  Marcia Dick pointed out that many supervisors are not doing what they are supposed to do and if there is no consequence, the evaluations do not get done.  Rose Miller will check the state statute to see what it says about employee evaluations.

 

X.         Adjournment – The meeting adjourned at 10:00 a.m.

 

Respectfully Submitted,

 

 

                                   

Theresa Kinniry

OSC Secretary