OSHA 5400 - Trainer Course in OSHA Standards for the Maritime Industry
This course is designed for personnel in the private sector interested in teaching the 10- and 30-hour maritime safety and health outreach program to their employees and other interested groups. Special emphasis is placed on those topics that are required in the 10- and 30-hour programs as well as on those that are the most hazardous, using OSHA standards as a guide. Course participants are briefed on effective instructional approaches and the effective use of visual aids and handouts. This course allows the student to become a trainer in the Outreach Program and to conduct 10 and 30-hour maritime classes in Shipyard Employment, Marine Terminals, and Longshoring and to issue cards to participants verifying course completion.
Prerequisites: Two years maritime industry experience and at least one of the following: Two years of occupational safety and health experience (with a broad focus) in any industry; A degree in occupational safety and health from an accredited college or university; Certification as an Associate Safety Professional (ASP), Certified Safety Professional (CSP), or Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH), Certified Marine Chemist (CMC), or Certified Safety Health Manager (CSHM).
NOTE: Students in Course #5400 who wish to participate as authorized trainers in the Outreach Program must successfully pass a written exam at the end of the course. Outreach trainers are required to attend Course #5402 at least once every four years to maintain their trainer status.
Prerequisites for OSHA #500:
- OSHA #510 Occupational Safety and Health Standards for the Construction Industry
- Five years of construction safety experience, or three years of experience and one of the following:
- College degree in occupational safety and health
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP)
- Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH)
- Certified Safety & Health Technician (CSHT)
- Certified Safety & Health Manager (CSHM)
IMPORTANT! Pre-requisites must be completed BEFORE registering for OSHA #500. No exceptions. Please complete the Initial Trainer Course Prerequisite Form for verification. Upon verification, a course registration link will be provided.
General Registration Information
- Trainer Course Prerequisites must be verified BEFORE registering for any class with a (*)
- Download General Course Information Form
- Register online through the specific course number link
- Download a Course Registration Form (if paying with check or purchase order via mail or fax)
- Call 800-656-5317 to register over the phone