September 12, 2011
Regular Business Meeting
of the Board of Trustees Sept. 15
315 Altgeld Hall, Northern Illinois University
9:00 a.m. Public Meeting of the Board of Trustees Convened - Board of Trustees Room Approx.
9:45 a.m. Executive Session – Altgeld Hall Approx.
10:45 a.m. Reconvene Board of Trustees Meeting - Board of Trustees Room
EXPECTED AGENDA FOR REGULAR MEETING
1. CALL TO ORDER AND ROLL CALL
2. VERIFICATION OF APPROPRIATE NOTICE OF PUBLIC MEETING
3. MEETING AGENDA APPROVAL, INCLUDING ANY PROPOSED CONSENT AGENDA ITEMS
4. REVIEW AND APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF JUNE 9, 2011 REGULAR MEETING
5. PUBLIC COMMENTS (IF ANY)*
6. CHAIR’S COMMENTS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
7. FISCAL YEAR 2012 BOARD OF TRUSTEES OFFICER ELECTIONS
8. RESOLUTION HONORING CHAIR MARC STRAUSS FOR DISTINGUISHED SERVICE 9. EXECUTIVE SESSION
10. REPORTS OF BOARD COMMITTEES AND BOARD LIAISONS
A. Executive Committee
B. Academic Affairs, Student Affairs and Personnel Committee
C. Finance, Facilities and Operations Committee
D. Legislation, Audit and External Affairs Committee
E. Illinois Board of Higher Education
F. Universities Civil Service Merit Board
G. Northern Illinois University Foundation
H. Northern Illinois University Alumni Association
I. Northern Illinois Research Foundation
11. PRESIDENT’S REPORT NO. 76
(Expected to include presentation of proposals for approval: Fiscal Year 2012 Internal Budget; Fiscal Year 2013 Budget Guidelines; Fiscal Year 2013 Appropriated Capital Budget Request; Fiscal Year 2013 Nonappropriated Capital Budget; Department of Psychology Subcontract–Services; Finance and Facilities Oracle/PeopleSoft Applications Annual Maintenance Renewals; Student Affairs and Enrollment Management Inquiry Management/Recruitment Tool; Finance and Facilities Performance Contracts–Consolidation/Restructuring; Vision 2020 Resolution; and Collective Bargaining Agreements. Possibly other matters for discussion only.) For review and information: Holmes Student Center-College Grind; Fiscal Year 2011 Report of Tuition and Fee Waivers; Fiscal Year 2011 Report on Capital Activities; Fiscal Year 2011 Annual Report of Transactions Involving Real Property; Fiscal Year 2011 Annual Report of Cash and Investments; Quarterly Summary Report of Transactions in Excess of $100,000; Annual Summary Report Obligation of Financial Resources; Professional Excellence Awards for Faculty and Staff; Fiscal Year 2011 Faculty Emeritus Recognition; Fiscal Year 2011 External Funding for Research, Public Service and Instructional Projects; 97th General Assembly Report; Congressional Report; State Universities Retirement System Fiscal Year 2012 Pension Fund Status; Freedom of Information Act Requests for June 1, 2010 – August 15, 2011; and Grant and Contract Awards. Possibly other matters for discussion only.)
12. CHAIR’S REPORT NO. 52
(Expected to include presentation of proposal for approval: Second Reading-Amendment to Selected Provisions of the Bylaws of the Board of Trustees of Northern Illinois University. Possibly other matters for discussion only.)
13. NEXT MEETING DATE
14. OTHER MATTERS
*The Board and its committees comply with P.A. 91-0715 through its Bylaws, Article II, Section 5.B:
1. Consistent with Public Act 91-0715 and reasonable constraints determined by these Bylaws and the Chair, at each regular or special meeting of the Board or its committees that is open to the public, members of the public may request a brief time on the approved agenda of the meeting to address the Board on relevant matters within its jurisdiction.
2. Committees of the Board review University proposals for action and make adjustments and endorsements as appropriate for further consideration by the full Board. Public comments are generally most useful at meetings of Board committees, where proposals are first considered and the time for interaction most feasible.
3. To facilitate an orderly process, appearance requests must be registered on a Board-provided form and submitted to the Board’s Parliamentarian at least 45 minutes before the meeting is scheduled to be called to order. To be recognized, the appearance request will include the name, address and position of the individual wishing to speak, the name of the organization or group represented, a concise summary of the presentation, and whether the requestor has appeared earlier on the topic before any other meeting of the Board. The Parliamentarian may confer with registered speakers to cooperatively assist the Chair of the meeting in assuring coordinated issue presentation and an efficient use of allocated time. The Parliamentarian will acquaint requestors with the generally acceptable rules of decorum for their presentations. In lieu of oral presentations, individuals may present brief written materials not to exceed five (5) pages to the Parliamentarian for distribution and consideration by the Board in advance of the meeting.
4. The Chair of the meeting will recognize duly registered individuals at the appropriate point during the meeting. Unduly repetitive comments may be discouraged and restricted by the Chair. To assure an orderly and timely meeting the Chair may limit time allotments to five minutes or less, may delay or defer appearances when appropriate, and defer or refer questions received from presenters for answers if available. Notice Prepared by: Board of Trustees Parliamentarian Time of Posting: At least 48 hours in advance of announced Meeting Places of Posted Meeting Notice: President’s Office-Altgeld Hall 300 and Holmes Student Center Bulletin Board
Media Contact: Brad Hoey, NIU Media and Public Relations