Common Questions - NIU - Media Services


Common Questions

Where are you located on campus?

Media Services is located in Still Hall on College Avenue. Our Photography Department is in Room 110, and our Graphics Department is in Room 205, upstairs.

What are your hours of operation?

Our offices are open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. We are closed for lunch from 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m. Our Summer hours are Monday through Thursday from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. (closed for lunch from 12:00 p.m. to 12:40 p.m.). Dates for our summer hours are based on the university summer hours schedule. To ensure we will be in when you visit, call for an appointment (815-753-6672 or 6371).

How much do your services cost?

Our consultation time is at no charge, however our Design and Production time is billed at a rate of $25.00 per hour.

How much is my project going to cost?

It depends on the size and scope of the project. If you come into our offices for a consultation, we will be able to provide you a rough cost estimate for time and materials.

How long will my project take to produce?

Again, it depends on the size and scope of the project. A consultation will be necessary to discuss your time frame and deadlines.

What are your charges for labor and materials?

Labor (Design and Production) are billed out at $25.00 per hour. Materials cost vary, and can be estimated for you during consultation.

How do I pay for your services?

We accept cash, Visa, and MasterCard. We can also bill your project to an authorized university account. If you are using a university fund, we require the account number prior to beginning your project.

Can I bring my own files for output?

Yes, you may bring in your own files for output. Please call for specifics.

Do you do framing and matting?

We are limited at this time. We carry a black plastic edge protection for mounted posters and prints.

Do you accept work from sources outside the university?

Yes, we accept work from entities outside the university. However, a consultation will be necessary to discuss time frames and deadlines as all university work takes precedence over work from outside sources.

Do you do 4-color printing?

We offer 4-color printing from our inkjet printers only for custom and one-off projects, not for multi-piece print runs. We do not have a printing press. On campus, Document Services offers these services.

Do you offer a student employment program?

Yes, we have a student employment program. Please contact us at 815-753-6672 or 6371 for more information.