The undergraduate mechanical engineering program is designed to prepare students for successful careers in engineering by providing them with the following: a balanced education in mechanical engineering fields; a foundational knowledge in mathematics and physical sciences; a broad general education in the humanities/arts, social sciences and interdisciplinary studies; training for effective communication and team work; and an understanding and commitment of an engineer’s professional and ethical responsibilities. Our educational objectives are based on the needs of the program’s constituencies: employers, alumni, students and faculty. We expect our graduates to attain the following educational objectives within a few years of graduation:
1. Our graduates will become successful professionals
2. Our graduates will successfully apply engineering knowledge and tools to solve technical problems and challenges, and to design and/or manufacture valuable products or processes.
3. Our graduates will make contributions to their professional fields, exhibit effective communication skills, and become a valuable team member.
4. Our graduates will continue professional development and assume professional and leadership responsibility.
The graduates of undergraduate mechanical engineering program should attain the following outcomes by the time of graduation:
A. An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering
B. An ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
C. An ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as scheduling, economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability
D. An ability to function on multi-disciplinary teams
E. An ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems
F. An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
G. An ability to communicate effectively and professionally
H. The broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global and societal context
I. Recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning
J. Knowledge of contemporary issues
K. An ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice
The MSME Program is designed to prepare graduate students for successful careers in advanced mechanical engineering fields by providing them with a progressive and high-quality graduate education, and to develop and expand faculty research for providing research opportunities to students and professional services to local, regional and international communities. Thus, we expect our graduates to attain the following objectives by the time and within a few years of graduation:
1. Our graduates will become successful professionals.
2. Our graduates will make contributions to their professional fields and assume leadership roles in industry or research organizations.
3. Our graduates will assume professional responsibilities and exhibit effective communication skills
4. Our graduates, in collaboration with faculty, have conducted research and scholarly activities at the forefront of the field and have engaged in professional societies by publishing professional papers and attending and presenting papers in professional conferences.
The graduates of the MSME Program should attain the following outcomes by the time of graduation:
A. An ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems and to conduct research in various mechanical engineering areas including applied mechanics, computer-aided design and computer-aided manufacturing, design of thermo-fluid systems, vibrations and control system design and integrated systems
B. An ability to design, as an engineer or a project leader, components, processes and systems in mechanical engineering to meet desired needs
C. An ability to apply the advanced techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice
D. An ability to communicate effectively and professionally
E. An understanding and commitment of professional and ethical responsibility