The Northern Illinois University Motorcycle Safety Project offers FREE motorcycle rider education courses at 11 locations throughout Northern Illinois. There is a $20 refundable deposit (plus $3 handling fee) required for pre-registration. Although a course may show that it is "SOLD OUT" we do take walk-in registrations in all of our courses. Please read about that process on the Registration page.
****Click HERE for a Google map which shows all of our locations and has classroom location information.****
We are in the process of gearing up for the 2015 training season! We are still waiting confirmation from a few of our training sites. Once we have our schedules confirmed we will post them and put up a notice as to when registration will begin. We appreciate your patience!
Click a link below for more information about each course including rider gear requirements.
License Testing Waiver Courses:
Basic RiderCourseSM (BRC)
Riding Skill Improvement Courses:
Basic RiderCourse2SM/Experienced RiderCourse (BRC2/ERC)
Advanced RiderCourseSM (ARC)
Training to earn a Motorcycle Safety Foundation RiderCoachSM credential
For questions about course registration please email: OutreachRegistration@niu.edu
For questions about RiderCourses not related to registration please email: MotorcycleSafety@niu.edu - The issue with this email account since the middle of December, 2014 has been resolved. If you sent us an email between December and yesterday please resend and we will answer you as promptly as we can. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
You must be an Illinois resident to register.
Visit the Registration page to find a course at a location near you:
- College of Lake County (CLC) - Grayslake, IL
- Elgin Community College (ECC) - Elgin, IL
- Fort Phillip Sheridan (FPS) - Fort Sheridan, IL
- Highland Community College (HCC) - Freeport, IL
- James A Lovell Federal Healthcare Center (JAL) - North Chicago, IL
- Jefferson High School (JHS) - Rockford, IL
- McHenry County College (MCC) - Crystal Lake, IL
- Northern Illinois University (NIU) - DeKalb, IL
- Rock Valley College (RVC) - Rockford, IL
- South Beloit High School (SBHS) - South Beloit, IL
Classroom Location information can be found on the "LOCATIONS" link and then clicking on the map marker at the training site where you would like to attend a course.