- Machine tool OEM - to be determined
- Department of Defense contractor for phased arrayed radar systems, slip ring contacts, electromagnetic shielding, RFI/EFI shields - to be determined
Stamp titanium up to a thickness of 0.002 inches with a minimum size of 0.01 inches square to a maximum of 0.100 inches square.
Build on lessons learned from "Micro-forming press for micro-forming research and education" and "Size effects in micro-sheet metal forming." Build from brass and Al to Ti.
Gain the advantages of virtual manufacturing in micro-forming Ti by understanding the constraints microstructure places on continuum mechanics modeling.
- Design double-acting stamping machine for Ti
- Assemble stamping machine
- Develop test stamping geometry
- Product test stamping tooling
- Machine and tooling trials with fine-grain Al
- Evaluate Al trial and secure fine-grain Ti alloy
- Modify tooling and stamping machine if required
- Ti alloy stamping trials and evaluation
- Preliminary design of double-acting press 85% completed - sent to TACOM for approval
- Order components before end of 2007
- Explore cost and availablility of Ti foil for prelimnary trials
- Develop concept tooling to evaluate stamping feature size capability