Adela de la Torre Honor Society (ATHS)
Dr. Emily Prieto had a vision to create an honor society at NIU in which Latino students would identify their potential and collaboratively advance together. On August 25, 2011, she met with Vanessa Segundo to start selecting candidates for an executive board that would establish and implement the vision of transformational diversity through intentional and strategic programming. In honor of her great mentor, Prieto decided to name this new honor society the Dr. Adela de la Torre Honor Society (ATHS) so that the legacy of success through education can be envisioned and embodied by all future members.
To recognize and achieve excellence amongst Latinos through scholarship, promote leadership in students and help render service through a unified effort.
To contribute towards members’ leadership growth, scholarship and service opportunities; to promote excellence in Latino students; to establish a presence of Latino cultures on campus; and to strengthen students’ understanding of their Latino heritage and culture.
Dr. Emily Prieto
- Academic achievement of a cumulative 3.0 GPA or higher based on a 4.0 scale
- Community involvement or work experience
- Demonstrate leadership abilities
- Ability to work effectively as an individual and team member
- Strong willingness to promote a positive Latino identity
- Time and commitment to fulfill ATHS expectations, including meetings and events
All other documents including: Resume, personal statement, unofficial transcripts, involvement letter (if applicable) and letters of recommendation must be submitted to email@example.com.
A fully completed application consists of the following:
- The ATHS online application
- A one page typed personal statement. Please refer to the application for guidance on your personal statement topic.
- Extracurricular involvement: Please include a document showing any extracurricular activities, academic honors, leadership awards, community service involvement, employment, etc.
- Two recommendation letters: Please have the person writing the letter of recommendation (professor, employer, etc.) submit the letter directly to firstname.lastname@example.org. *Recommendation letters from staff and faculty at the Latino Resource Center will not be accepted.
- Unofficial transcripts. Please submit your unofficial transcript which can be found on your "MyNIU" page.
3 Pillars of Membership
- ATHS members are required to sign a release of academic information waiver that authorizes ATHS advisors to review a member’s academic progress each semester
- Professional development opportunities
- Networking events, job fairs, leadership academy, etc.
- Emphasize that members represent ATHS at all times
- Two service learning projects are required of all members during the academic year
- Connections with other NIU organizations on the campus community
- Emphasize the need of unity in diversity, potential presentations
- Develop identity of a strong Latino coalition at NIU’s campus
- Embody the vision of ATHS
- Uphold the missions and values of ATHS
- Maintain academic expectations
- Willingness and passion to get involved in the DeKalb community and surrounding areas
- Time commitment to attend ATHS meetings and events
- Ethical conviction to strengthen the Latino identity and presence at NIU
- Recognition for scholarly achievements
- Academic support
- Professional development series
- Make long lasting relationships with other Latino students at NIU!
515 Garden Road
DeKalb, IL 60115
Main Office Hours
8 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
Latino Center Building Hours
8 a.m.–10 p.m.
8 a.m.–4:30 p.m.