A critical component of the LRC's mission is to provide social capital and mentoring to Latinos in secondary through postsecondary education. The LRC currently supports the Vanguardia Afirmativa de Latinos Unidos (V.A.L.U.) mentoring program at Dekalb High School, and several mentoring programs on the NIU campus.
Some of the NIU mentoring programs supported by the Latino Resource Center are:
Mentoring for Academic Success (M.A.S.)
Freshmen Receiving Experience and Study Habits (F.R.E.S.H.)
With nearly 13% of Northern Illinois University’s student population consisting of Latinos, the Latino Resource Center serves students of various Latin American ethnicities of North American, Central American, South American, and Caribbean backgrounds.
The Mentor Program seeks to A.C.T. on behalf of all first-year Latino and Latin American students by:
1) Assisting first year Latino students with their transition to college, especially during the first six weeks of classes;
2) Creating a sense of belonging and community at NIU; and
3) Together, encouraging the academic success and social well-being among first year Latino college students.Mission:
The M.A.S. F.R.E.S.H. Mentoring Program serves to provide a welcoming environment and a “home away from home” atmosphere for first-year Latino college students. The program assists them in their transition and adjustment to college life by providing academic support and helping first-year Latino college students transition to the college environment.
De Mujer a Mujer: Latina Assistance Program: Promotes programs specific to the needs of Latinas including support, academic guidance, and leadership opportunities that enhance students' retention and graduation.
De Mujer a Mujer: Latina Assistance Program
The mission of “De Mujer a Mujer”: Latina Assistance Program (LAP) is to provide academic support that will increase the retention and graduation rates of Latinas at Northern Illinois University by providing programs, activities and leadership opportunities that foster self-confidence, self-awareness, and self-esteem.
1. To establish a positive and professional support network for Latinas.
2. To promote education, career, personal, and leadership development.
3. To increase cultural, gender role, and service learning awareness.
How to get involved
in our programs