Northern Illinois University College of Law United States Supreme Court Swearing-In Ceremony
Monday, May 15, 2017
U.S. Supreme Court Building
Join us as NIU College of Law alumni become members of the Bar of the United States Supreme Court in Washington, D.C. This special and unique opportunity of being sworn in by the U.S. Supreme Court Justices will take place on Monday, May 15, 2017. This ceremony, often described as an experience you will never forget, is limited and available for up to 25 alumni.
Requirements for Admission
To qualify for admission to the bar of the United States Supreme Court, an applicant:
- Must have been admitted to practice in the highest court of a State, Commonwealth, Territory or Possession, or the District of Columbia for a period of at least three years immediately before the date of application;
- Must not have been the subject of any adverse disciplinary action pronounced or in affect during that three-year period; and
- Must appear to the Supreme Court to be of good moral and professional character.
Additional information can be found on the Supreme Court website.
All materials are due March 27, 2017.
Requirements for Registration
The application process should include the following:
- Complete the online NIU College of Law registration form to reserve your spot. Reservations are on a first come basis.
- Complete the admissions application.
- Original Certificate of Good Standing from the state in which you are admitted to practice. Be sure to allow sufficient time to receive your certificate.
For the admissions application, you will need two signatures from sponsors who are already sworn into the United States Supreme Court. Several NIU College of Law alumni have been previously admitted, and we will arrange for a sponsor signature if needed.
Mail the completed original admissions application and the original certificate of good standing to the NIU College of Law, to be received no later than Monday, March 27, 2017 to:
Melody Mitchell, Director
Attn: Supreme Court Swearing-In Ceremony
NIU College of Law
Swen Parson Hall
DeKalb, IL 60115
Note: The NIU College of Law will send materials for our entire group. Please do not send your application to the court.
The swearing-in admission fee is $200 per attorney. There is also a $100 participation fee per person (attorney and guest), which will include a continental breakfast at the Supreme Court Building and a luncheon.
Due to the size of the court, space is limited. Each attorney being admitted to the court can bring one (1) guest into the Supreme Court to witness the swearing-in. Children under age six are not admitted into the courtroom for the ceremony.
Sunday, May 14, 2017
- Reception for all participants and their guests, along with area alumni and friends. Details TBD.
Monday, May 15, 2017
- 8:00 a.m. - Arrival at the U.S. Supreme Court. We will meet outside the U.S. Supreme Court and enter as a group. We will then be escorted to a private room for our continental breakfast.
- 10:00 a.m. - Swearing-in ceremony followed by reception and group photographs. Supreme Court justices will be invited. Chief Justice Roberts, Justice Ginsburg, and Justice Sotomayor have attended our receptions in the past.
- 1 p.m. - Lunch at a location TBD.
Please note that we are still organizing events for Sunday and Monday. Final plans will be announced as soon as possible.
Travel & Hotel Accommodations
Attendees must make their own travel arrangements to and from Washington, D.C. For your convenience, a special group rate of $209 (single/double) or $249 (triple/quad) has been secured at the Hyatt Place Washington, DC/US Capitol (33 New York Ave., Washington, D.C. 20002) between the dates of May 11-17th. Reserve your room online or call (888) 492-8847 and make your reservation under the NIU College of Law block. Reservations must be made by April 12, 2017.
Please contact Melody Mitchell, director of Alumni Events & Public Relations at firstname.lastname@example.org or (815) 753-1027 with any questions.