Interlibrary Loan Services, Policies & Procedures
- Through interlibrary loan, the Law Library will attempt to borrow materials or obtain photocopies of materials from libraries outside NIU.
- Interlibrary loan services are restricted to faculty or students of the College of Law for the purposes of study and law school-related research or teaching.
- Please allow approximately 10 working days to fulfill interlibrary loan requests. You will be notified via your student mailbox or e-mail when materials arrive. Interlibrary loan materials can be picked up at the Circulation Desk.
Books & other materials:
- The I-Share catalog allows students, faculty & staff to request items from over 70 Illinois academic and special libraries. Loans for I-Share materials are generally for 28 days with up to 3 renewals allowed (6 renewals for faculty and staff).
- If the book you want is not available through I-Share, fill out an Interlibrary Loan form (.pdf) & return it to the Circulation Desk.
- Please check the Does the library have this journal? link on the Law Library home page to make sure the article you want isn't available in full text in one of NIU's databases, or is held in paper or microfiche in one of NIU's libraries.
- If the article you want is not available at NIU, fill out an Interlibrary Loan form (.pdf) & return it to the Circulation Desk.
- The Law Library does not interlibrary loan material from Founders Library or other NIU Libraries. However, if you are faculty or staff and the article you want is available at a NIU library in hard copy, Founders Library will make a copy of the article for you and send it to you electronically via their Campus Delivery Service.
- NIU students and faculty not associated with the College of Law should use the University Library interlibrary loan service to obtain materials unavailable in any of the NIU Libraries.
- On occasion, the Law Library may refer users to other libraries for on-site use when material is needed immediately, a large number of titles is required, or a subject area is to be researched without reference to particular titles.
- For questions regarding interlibrary loan, please call Sharon Nelson at 815-753-2021 or email firstname.lastname@example.org