LexisNexis Academic Help & Tutorials
- Access LexisNexis Academic
- If you are attempting to access the databases from off campus, you must be an NIU student, faculty or staff and first authenticate using EZProxy. For instructions on using EZProxy, see here.
Selected links on legal research from the LexisNexis Academic Product Wiki:
- Get a case: How to look up federal and state cases. Includes video.
- Legal Research: How to find U.S. Supreme Court materials, federal & state codes and regulations, and legal reference works within LexisNexis Academic.
- Citation Formats: Used by LexisNexis Academic when searching for documents by legal citation. Includes formats for case law, law reviews & journals, U.S. statutes, codes & regulations, and state registers & administrative codes.
- Landmark Cases: How to access the list of landmark U.S. Supreme Court cases, and what to do if the case you are looking for is not on the list.
- Shepardizing: How to use the Shepard's Citations Service to determine if a case is still "good law." (Note: only case law can be Shepardized in LexisNexis Academic, not statutes, agency opinions, or other legal documents.)
- Research Help: Tips on searching for consumer law, administrative law, education law, etc.