Alan H. Boudreau
Visiting Clinical Assistant Professor
B.A., Harvard University
J.D., University of California Davis School of Law
Phone: (815) 753-2407
Alan H. Boudreau is a Visiting Clinical Assistant Professor in the College of Law’s Clinical Faculty. Professor Boudreau teaches the Foreclosure Mediation Clinic. He joined the Northern Illinois University College of Law in August 2013.
Prior to joining the College of Law, Professor Boudreau was an attorney and mediator in private practice. He focused his practice on alternative dispute resolution, family law, residential real estate and estate planning. He serves as a volunteer mediator and trainer with the Center for Conflict Resolution and acts as an arbitrator for the Cook County Mandatory Arbitration program.
Before attending law school, Professor Boudreau worked in the software industry, providing technology solutions to customers including consumers, banks and investment firms.
Professor Boudreau currently serves on the Board of Directors of the National LGBT Bar Association and the Board of Ambassadors for the AIDS Legal Council of Chicago. He is an active member of the American Bar Association’s Family Law Section, where he serves on the Publications Board and as the Chair of the Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee. For the past two years, Professor Boudreau has been a Track Chair for the ABA’s Dispute Resolution Conference. He is also a Fellow of the Collaborative Law Institute of Illinois.
Professor Boudreau is a graduate of the University of California Davis School of Law (King Hall) where he served as a co-chair of the King Hall Legal Foundation and the student director of the LGBT Legal Referral Clinic. He received the ALI-ABA Award for Scholarship and Leadership. His love of clinical legal education developed as a law student when he studied in the UC Davis Immigration Clinic. He received his Bachelor’s degree in Psychology from Harvard University cum laude.
- Presenter, "Client Tax Implications After U.S. v. Windsor (Defense of Marriage Act)," Chicago Bar Association.
- Panelist, "Navigating Emotional Crosscurrents in Collaborative Divorce," ABA Family Law Section Conference.
- Guest Lecturer, "ADR and the Solo Practitioner," Loyola University of Chicago School of Law.
- Presenter, "Mediation and How to Achieve Mutually Satisfactory Settlements," Illinois Family Support Enforcement Association.
- Guest Lecturer, "Client Counseling as a Solo Practitioner," UC Davis School of Law.
- Panelist, "Divorce, Dissolution, and Consensual Dispute Resolution," ABA Center for Professional Development.
- Panelist, "Collaborative Law and Mediation," Family Law Institute Annual Meeting.
- Presenter, "Still Here: Elder Law Issues for an Aging LGBT Population," Chicago Bar Association.
Areas of Expertise
Alternative Dispute Resolution, Foreclosure, Family Law, Sexual Orientation and the Law, Clinical Legal Education