- Prospective Student Home
- Quick Facts
- Apply/Check Status
- On-Campus Events
- Off-Campus Events
- Plan Your Visit/Contact Us
- Diversity at NIU Law
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Tuition, Fees, and Budgets
- Types of Financial Aid
- Consumer Information
- Frequently Asked Financial Questions
- College of Law Home
J.D./M.P.A. Student Apply/Check Status
The NIU Division of Public Administration and NIU College of Law offer the opportunity for simultaneous enrollment in the M.P.A. and J.D. degree programs to qualified graduate students. Students must be admitted to both the M.P.A. and the J.D. programs. Matriculation in the two programs must be within a period of 18 months.
Because students enroll in two separate degree programs, to recieve both degrees, students must meet all of the graduation requirements for both degree programs. A student may obtain either degree prior to completing all requirements for the other degree. Under the simultaneous enrollment plan, students are required to to take at least 111 total semester hours: 81 from the College of Law and 30 from the Division of Public Administration (not including the internship). Up to 9 semester hours of J.D. program coursework may be applied to the 39 semester hours required for the M.P.A. degree, and up to 9 semester hours of M.P.A. course work with a grade of B or better may be applied toward the 90 semester hours required for the J.D. degree.
- To apply to the J.D. portion of the program, please see Full-Time Student Apply/Check Status.
- For more information about the M.P.A. program, please see http://www.niu.edu/pub_ad/mpa_program/index.shtml.
- For more information about the simultaneous enrollment program, please visit http://catalog.niu.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=17&poid=2966&returnto=517.