Frequently Asked Questions
How do I teach juggling if I do not know how to juggle?
- Select an instructional DVD or online resource that explains the best methods for introducing juggling skills.
- Remind students that learning how to juggling is a process, and that it takes practice. We each learn at a different pace.
- Show some exciting juggling presentations to your students and motivate them to learn something new.
- Remember, you do not need to be a juggler to be able to teach the students how to juggle!
How can I begin to work with my students?
- You can start with your own classroom and see what works best for you.
- You can find a colleague who amay also be interested. Begin with some community building and ice-breaker activities so children can get to know their buddy and get accustomed to working with the other class.
- Access and become familiar with your SEL Standards. Set up goals and objectives for your students. These can become more specific in the future.
What do we use to juggle?
- As you use juggling in the classroom more and more, you can add juggling balls to the fall school supply list.
- You may request a one time purchase from your building Parent Teacher Organization or principal.
- Parents can send in a contribution and you can purchase items online.
- Students can practice at home with scarves, socks, toys and even fruit.
What kind of a schedule can I follow?
- Be creative and do what works best for your busy schedule. We practiced in our classrooms with the whole group for five to ten minute blocks 3 to 5 times a week. Once a week, we met with our buddy classroom for a longer block of 20 to 30 minutes.
Anything else I may need to remember?
- Set clear expectations for good behavior. Discuss safety, respect and responsibility.
- Encourage good manners and positive communication techniques.
- Set practice session goals and wrap up with a few moments for group reflection and sharing of what worked and what did not work.
- Allow students to model what they have learned.
- Give it a try yourself!