Jason Rhode, Ph.D.
Director, Faculty Development and Instructional Design Center
I am an experienced faculty developer, instructor, instructional designer, course developer, and program director with over 15 years experience in the field of online learning and more than a decade of experience in higher education faculty development. I currently serve as Director of the Faculty Development and Instructional Design Center at Northern Illinois University. Reporting to the Office of the Provost, I oversee operations of the Center and provide leadership on all aspects of faculty development training and support.
My responsibilities include planning, budgeting, supervising staff, program assessment, reporting, procurement, supervising the coordination of:
- Teaching Effectiveness Institutes every fall and spring for faculty,
- Teaching Assistant Orientation for graduate assistants every fall,
- New Faculty Forum for new faculty every fall,
- Teaching with Technology Institute every summer,
- Regular workshops on teaching, technology, and other topics every month,
- Blackboard training and consultations for faculty, staff and TAs,
- Online teaching training and consultations for faculty,
- Classroom observations of teaching for requesting faculty,
- Development and dissemination of newsletters, program schedules and web resources,
and working closely with academic and support units on their teaching and teaching with technology needs, and participating in committees.
Since joining the Faculty Development and Instructional Design Center at NIU in 2004, I have been responsible for developing and offering training programs and support for faculty and staff on teaching with technology and related topics, delivering programs and consultations on online teaching and related topics, managing the center's technology resources, and performing supervisory functions at the center.
I enjoy sharing my expertise teaching with technology, including designing and teaching online and blended courses, with others.