The International Training Office (ITO) at Northern Illinois University is committed to strengthening the capacities of international professionals and leaders from public, non-profit, or private sector organizations to become catalysts for change in their home countries. ITO accomplishes this mission through innovative training programs and outreach activities that address institutional, professional, and societal needs.
Roles and Responsibilities
The staff of the International Training Office have the following roles and responsibilities:
- Develop and conduct training programs for international audiences, especially from the less developed countries, utilizing NIU faculty members and community or regional resource people and organizations.
- Market training programs to international organizations that sponsor such training programs.
- Work with NIU faculty members and academic units, who want to develop appropriate training programs for international audiences, in planning, organizing, and implementing such programs.
- Develop customized training programs for individuals from other countries, utilizing the resources of the university, community, and region.
- Develop and maintain contacts with funding organizations (public, private, and non-profit) in Washington, DC and other locations (e.g., US AID, World Bank, State Department, Department of Education) in order to determine training or technical assistance opportunities that NIU faculty members can take advantage of.