Students Currently at a Secondary School
Outside the US

Freshmen will need to submit the following to be considered for admission to NIU:

1. A completed NIU Application. Students have the choice of sending in a paper application or applying online. 

2. A $40 application fee. This fee is a processing fee that is charged when a student applies. It is important that when you submit the online application, you must be able to submit the payment online (Visa/MasterCard). If this is not possible, you will have to send in an international bank draft. Applications without the accompanying application fee will not be processed. 

3. Final Secondary School Transcript and/or Exam Results. These documents must be Official Originals or Attested Copies. Please submit the documents in their Original Language and also provide an Official English Translation.

Academic Criteria

  • High School Diploma. Students must have graduated by the time they start at NIU in order to be admitted.
  • Grades. Student must have passing grades equivalent to US "C+" average on all transcripts and/or exam score

4. Proof of English Ability. Students enrolling at NIU must first prove they can communicate in English at a university level. The following will be considered as adequate proof of English proficiency.

Official TOEFL score report
To be considered for Admission, a student must have at least a:

  • 527 on a Paper-based Test
  • 71 on an Internet-based Test

Official IELTS score report
To be considered for Admission, a student must have at least a:

  • 6.0 on the IELTS test

ELS level 112 Certificate
To be considered for Admission, a student must have:

  • Completed ELS course 112
    More information about enrolling in an ELS institution can be found on their website 

High School diploma from the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, or Australia.

  • Students will need to submit an official school records

Official transcripts from an accredited U.S. University/College

  • Students will need to submit transcripts showing they have passed two University-level English courses

Students coming on F-1 (student) visas will also need to submit Proof of Financial Ability to receive their immigration documents.