Applying for your F-1/J-1 Visa

In order to enter the US, you are required to have a valid passport and visa. Once you have your passport and I-20/DS 2019, please contact the nearest US Embassy or Consulate for information. In your visa application you will need to present your passport, the Form I-20/DS 2019, proof of financial support in the amount shown on your I-20/DS 2019, proof of your English proficiency, and your admission letter. *You will also need to complete a visa application form and pay the application fee.  Please visit this website for more information from the US Department of State:

As the Consular Officer reviews your application for the F-1/J-1 visa, you will be required to prove that you intend to return to your home country when you complete your US education. In order to convince the visa officer that you will in fact return home, you may wish to show that you (will) have a job offer when you return home, that you own property in your home country, that you have very close family members in your country, and/or that you have no family members in the US. Please visit this website for more helpful information about applying for the student visa:

More Visa Tips

If your F-1/J-1 visa is approved, the Consular Officer will affix a visa stamp in your passport. Important information on your visa stamp includes the expiration date, the permissible number of entries into the US, and the name of Northern Illinois University, if you used our I-20/DS 2019 to apply for the visa. (If you used another University’s I-20/DS 2019 to enter the US, you will be required to enroll at the other University for one semester before transferring to NIU. The Consular Officer will return the I-20/DS 2019 to you; if it is returned in a sealed envelope, keep it in the sealed envelope until you present it to the border official at the Port of Entry to the U.S.