International Students and Health Insurance
Rules for Student Insurance for International Students
- Students are assessed the insurance fee if they enroll in at least 1 credit hour with NIU. The credit hour can be on campus or off campus.
- Students in an F status or a J status are required to have the NIU student insurance unless
- They have prior approval of the NIU International Student Office & the NIU Student Insurance office.
- They have another comparable policy from their program sponsor that meets the insurance requirements set by the US Dept of State.
- They are sponsored by their home government, and provided with comparable insurance policy.
- They are dependents of H visa, lawful permanent resident or other working visas, and who have comparable coverage.
- Students with an H status can cancel the NIU insurance if they have other comparable coverage.
- Students cannot purchase insurance in their home country and cancel the NIU insurance plan.
- Students, who are eligible to cancel the insurance, must contact either the International office or the Student Insurance office and provide proof of other comparable coverage during the semester’s waiver period.
- Students, who want to cancel the insurance after the waiver period has ended, must file an appeal.
- International students must waive the insurance each semester they attend NIU, so that their insurance information can be reviewed and approved as up-to-date.