60 Years and Strong!
60 Years and Strong!
During the summer of 1951, the first workshop on economic education for Illinois teachers was held with attendance by 70 teachers and funding made possible by support from the Committee on Economic Development and leading Chicago businessmen.
On August 3, 1951, the Joint Council on Economic Education (now the Council for Economic Education) issued a formal certificate of affiliation for the Illinois Council on Economic Education. In October of that same year, twenty workshop participants met and voted to formally establish the Illinois Council on Economic Education.
In October of 1967, the Illinois Council on Economic Education (now dba Econ Illinois) was incorporated as a not-for-profit organization in Illinois, and thus began a reorganization and revitalization of the Council.
Over these 60 years, the Council grew to include nine staff members and eight Centers for Economic Education which are located at universities around the state. In addition to the workshops provided since the start, Econ Illinois added many statewide programs: the annual Teaching Economics and Financial Literacy conference; The Stock Market Game program; the Illinois Personal Finance Challenge; the Illinois Economics Challenge; the Economics Poster Contest; InvestWrite; the 3M Economic Educator Awards; and the Illinois Capitol Challenge.
To help with funding needs, Econ Illinois first hosted the annual American Dream Dinner fundraiser in 2008, and is implementing the first annual Stock Market Game-Corporate Challenge during fiscal year 2012. Econ Illinois also provides volunteer opportunities to companies to help them partner with schools in their communities.
Thanks to the members of Econ Illinois’ two Boards, the generous donors, educators, legislators and staff, we are 60-years strong and continuing to focus on helping Illinois teachers educate our students so they are better prepared for their financial futures.
- 1977: ICEE moves to Northern Illinois University
- 1983: Sponsored by Esmark, ICEE establishes the teacher awards program (now sponsored by 3M)
- 1988: The Stock Market Game is offered for the first time in Illinois
- 1991: The Illinois Association of School Economics Teachers (IASET) is formed
- 1992: The Economics Poster Contest is first offered as a statewide competition
- 1995-98: ICEE serves a key role for the development of the Illinois Learning Standards for Social Science, Goal 15.
- 1996: Illinois Economics Challenge is first offered
- 2001: ICEE celebrates 50 years; hosts the annual national conference
- 2006: ICEE rolls out its first formal Web site
- 2009: Illinois Personal Finance Challenge is first offered
- 2009: Econ Illinois becomes the new brand for ICEE
- 2011: Econ Illinois hosts the 50th Annual Economics and Financial Literacy Conference in Chicago; rolls out an updated Web site and celebrates 60 years!