Huskie Minute – September 6, 2013
Dear Huskie Family Connections Member!
The following Huskie Minute features a few updates, events, and helpful tips to assist you and your student in having a safe and enjoyable fall semester. Beginning with the 2013 -2014 newly entering student group, ALL NIU families will begin receiving the Huskie Minute. Welcome to the Huskie Family!
In this issue
- Fall Family Weekend
- Amazing Dog Sled Race
- Huskie Family Connections Tailgating
- NIU's Football game
- Free Events
- Bowling and Billiards for HAB
Fall Family Weekend is just around the corner. Huskie Family Connections has planned a weekend full of activities with family participation in mind. It is also Huskie Pride Weekend. No matter your family's interest, NIU has something for you on the weekend of September 20th to the 22nd.
In this edition of The Huskie Minute we highlight only a few of the festivities. There are ticketed events (please don't delay, some ticket purchases have deadlines) and many free events. Some free events require advanced reservation, but no fee.
Please check out our web page http://www.niu.edu/hfc for a complete listing with descriptions. The Alumni Association also has information about even more events happening for Huskie Pride Weekend at http://myniu.com/huskie-pride-weekend/ Or, check out https://calendar.niu.edu/event/huskie_pride_weekend
The Northern Pact theme this year is Celebrative. Come and celebrate with us!
Check in is "Fall Family Weekend Central."
Check in is held in three locations throughout the weekend, however, NOT simultaneously. You may go to the location available based on your family's schedule of arrival. Pick up any tickets you may have pre-ordered, get directions for the Self-Guided Tour (SGT), Amazing Dog Sled Race (ADSR), Bike tours, have your questions answered, see the office home of Huskie Family Connections and receive your complimentary Huskie Family Connections gift bag .
- Fri. from noon to 4:00 at Campus Life building (CLB)
- Fri. from 5:00-8:00 at the Holmes Student Center (HSC)
- Sat. from 9:00-2:00 at CLB
- Sat. from 3:00-5:30 at the West Stadium field HFC Tailgating tent
Amazing Dog Sled Race
Saturday, September 21 - Sunday, September 22. Participate at your own pace during this event.
Participate as a family team to follow clues leading to NIU campus highlights. Collect the "token" at each site and return to the Verification Table at Check-in locations to submit your evidence of being there. This event can be done throughout the weekend; families self-pace. If scores tie, prize winners will be drawn at random from the pool of highest scoring families. Prizes announced at Closing Ceremonies on Sunday. Need not be present to win. Each family member participant will receive a commemorative t-shirt. Entry fee $20 per family.
From 3-5:30 p.m. on Saturday, September 21 HFC will be located inside the fenced area for Huskie Family Connections Tailgating. The October Beer Gardens will also be located here.
- HFC Tailgating Grill by Whitman's Catering - Ticket price includes 2 sandwiches (choice of burger, brat, or chicken breast), sides, non-alcoholic drink, and dessert. Save on a Family Pack of food tickets. Food is Pre-paid ticket only, no cash sale food will be available in HFC tent.
- Come join us to Huskie-up for the football game with tailgate games and prizes.
- Live music at Oktoberfest (sponsored by NIU Athletics) before and after game.
At 6 p.m. on Saturday, September 21 located in the Huskie Stadium will be the Football Game! Join us in cheering the Fabulous Huskie Football team to victory against Eastern IL. Remember that it is the White Out game, so wear white Huskie Spirit attire.
There are 2 ticket options:
- East Side tickets are in the Student Seating Area. If you would like to sit on the same side of the stadium as your NIU student, then you should purchase East Side tickets. NIU student tickets for this section are FREE and can be picked up the week of game at the Convocation Center (must show OneCard).
- West Side tickets are all reserved seating. Your NIU student cannot use the OneCard to get a ticket on this side of the stadium for free. If you choose the West Side seating and you would like to sit with your student, you will need to purchase a ticket for your NIU student.
Check out the free events going on during Fall Family Weekend!
- Self-Guided Campus Tours (maps will be provided at check-in)
- NIU Observatory (Davis Hall 703)
Friday, 8 to 11 p.m.
- NIU Art Museum (Altgeld Hall 116)
Friday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Saturday, 12 to 4 p.m.
- NIU Anthropology Museum (Cole Hall)
Friday: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.; Saturday, 12 to 4 p.m.
- Bike Tours (RSVP)
- Engineering Tours (RSVP)
- ACRO Pancake Brunch (RSVP)
- Campus Recreation Center
Have some gaming fun at the Huskie Den in the Holmes Student Center and help Huskie Alternative Break (HAB) service trips. Purchase a $10 pass, valid from 6:00 - 9:00 pm Friday AND any two hours of your choice on Saturday from 1:00 pm - 1:00 am. $6 of your purchase will go to HAB. Tickets may be purchased at the Huskie Den, lower level of the Holmes Student Center.
If you prefer to have this information sent to a different email address or to remove your name from our mailing list, please notify the HFC staff at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 815-753-4444.