- News & Events
- Contracts & Room Selection
- Residence Halls
- Northern View Community (Apartments)
- Residential Dining
- Residential Technology
- Leadership & Volunteer Opportunities
- Work Request Office
- Staff Resources
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Contact Us
- Student Affairs & Enrollment Management
Cisco NAC at NIU
The Historical Perspective
In the past, due to the impact of viruses and worms on the NIU network:
- The resources at the ResTech Helpdesk were stretched to the limit by the sheer volume of infected computers that needed disinfecting
- The ResTech Helpdesk’s ability to provide a variety of high-quality technical services and support to residents of the halls was diminished
- Viruses destroyed information on student computers and compromised other computers on the NIU network
- Hundreds of residents’ computers were so severely infected that they were removed from the network for days or even weeks
- Network services for many users was interrupted
Why Cisco NAC?
- As a state institution, NIU is obligated to manage its resources in accordance with industry best practice guidelines and external audit recommendations. The NIU network is one of those resources.
- Cisco’s NAC (and similar products) is designed to address critical network management and security issues; such products are in use on many campuses.
- Cisco NAC enables residents to keep their computer updated with the latest Windows security patches and to install and update anti-virus software (free through NIU).
- Cisco NAC helps residents get on-line and stay on-line, getting the most out of their high-speed Internet connection and NIU's wireless access.
How It Works
- Requires authentication to the network for all persons living in the residence halls.
- Cisco NAC performs the following checks:
- Microsoft Critical Updates
- AntiVirus Software Installed
- AntiVirus Definitions
- Enable Windows firewall and Automatic Updates
- Mac and Linux must authenticate by logging in via a web page.
- Cisco NAC is scheduled to re-certify personal Windows machines every 30 days at 5am.
- Cisco NAC is scheduled to re-authenticate Mac and Linux every 30 days at 5am.
As always, the ResTech Helpdesk is available to assist residents with computer issues.
Please contact us at (815)753-6267 if you are having problems with Cisco NAC or any of the services available to you.