Quick Navigation

Help: Choosing a Room

Help: Residential Dining

Am I required to have a meal plan?

All residence hall students are required to have a meal plan as part of residence hall living. Students that live off-campus or commute may also sign up for a meal plan.

For more information, see Meal Plans.

What are the meal plan choices?

Learn about Meal Plans.

Where do residents eat?

Residence hall students use their NIU OneCard to enter the dining areas and may eat in any of the residential dining service outlets on campus. Meals are served cafeteria style on an All You Care To Eat basis in New Hall, Neptune Hall, Gilbert Hall and Stevenson Hall. In Gilbert's East Side Café, Neptune's Trident and Stevenson's Dog Pound Deli, food items are served on an à la carte basis and are purchased with Dining Dollars, Flex Dollars or Huskie Bucks.

For more information, see Menus and Venues and Meal Plans.

I have a special diet. Where can I eat?

We offer a variety of menu items to accommodate most special diet needs. If you have dietary restrictions or food allergies and would like some help navigating our dining locations, please contact our nutrition and allergy support staff located in Neptune Central 225, (815)-753-9556 or by email. Our staff will be glad to meet with you to discuss your dietary needs and provide guidance. If you require a special diet you should contact Health Services for help in securing accommodations.

What's the difference between Flex Dollars and Huskie Bucks?

Flex Dollars can be used at any residential All You Care To Eat locations, residential Residential À la Carte Locations, and non-residential Residential À la Carte locations. The funds are allocated once per semester and rollover from week to week. Dollars not used by the end of the semester will be forfeited.

Huskie Bucks are separate from your dining meal plan. Your Huskie Bucks account is a pre-paid debit account that can be used anywhere on campus to purchase meals as well as various services like laundry and copying/printing. Huskie Bucks can also be used at many local restaurants.

For more information, see Meal Plans and Huskie Bucks.

When are meals served?

Dining service is available in at least one service unit continuously from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. Monday through Thursday (8 p.m. on Friday). On Sundays, Stevenson and New Hall offer a late night service from 8:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.

For more information regarding operating hours, see Menus and Venues.

When will meal service begin?

Meals covered by the fall semester’s room and board rate will commence the Friday after move-in. During the period before classes start, the residence halls will be open for the noon and evening meals, and residents will receive a prorated amount of their normal weekly meal plan value. Regular service commences on the Monday classes start. For the spring semester, the first meal served under the room and board rate will be breakfast on Monday of the week classes start. During academic weeks that are shortened by holidays or breaks, residents will receive a prorated amount of their normal weekly meal plan based on the number of service days in the shortened week.

How do I change my meal plan?

Students may change their meal plan at no cost. Meal plan changes may also be made the first week after a resident changes halls.  For more information you can manage your meal plan online.

If I lose my OneCard, how do I suspend privileges to it?

Residence Hall students have the option of getting a Temporary Card by visiting any of the residential dining center offices. This temporary card suspends your lost OneCard so that it cannot be misused and then it will allow you to access your Huskie Bucks or Meal Plan. 
If you lose your OneCard outside of residential dining's regular business hours, you may suspend your OneCard online.

For more information, visit the OneCard Office website.