ResTech Computer Lab Attendant
Thanks for your application.
Thank you for your interest in working in Residential Technology. We will review your application, and if your availability fits our needs, a member of our team will contact you.
Residential Technology Computer Lab Attendants provide first level support for users of the Residential Technology Computer Labs and associated areas. This position requires employees to provide excellent customer service to students, faculty, staff, and members of the campus community.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Arrive promptly for scheduled shifts and complete all assigned responsibilities.
- Be knowledgeable about university/department policies and current concerns.
- Assist users with access to files, systems (MyNIU, Blackboard), applications, and printing.
- Maintain technical quality of equipment; make sure all equipment is functioning properly, perform minimal troubleshooting, and report problems promptly according to established procedures.
- Maintain a clean, quiet, and orderly environment.
- Communicate with lab users, instructors, and other staff.
- Regularly visit areas for which they are responsible (ResTech computer labs, Northern View Community lab, Cyber Terminals, Smart Classrooms).
- Abide by and enforce ResTech policies and procedures.
- Participate in special projects.
- Check any messages from previous staff shifts, office email communication, posted announcements/information; complete tasks related to logbooks, reports related to disruptive incidents or contact with antagonistic customers, and documentation for any newly developed policies.
- Notify department management staff and, when necessary, the University Police, of any emergency situation, potential hazardous situation or to request personal assistance as needed. Complete documentation of events and appear at Judicial Office hearings or other legal proceedings related to on-the-job incidents when the staff member is a witness to a situation warranting formal disciplinary follow-up.
- Assist in emergency situations as directed. Student staffs are never expected to put themselves into a potentially dangerous situation in the course of their assigned duties.
- Maintain confidentiality at all times regarding any situations which may violate a student’s privacy. This may include incidents in which you are involved or about which you have been informed including: unlisted phone numbers, judicial actions, crisis management plans, and police interaction.
- Attend and participate in training sessions and team meetings.
- Maintain accurate payroll records and sign timesheets to meet established deadlines.
- Abide by, and support, all policies, procedures, and missions of Housing & Residential Services, the Division of Student Affairs and Enrollment Management, and Northern Illinois University. Actions that could be perceived as undermining the department, division, or university are cause for appropriate work related disciplinary sanctions, up to and including immediate termination.
- Must be a student at NIU enrolled for at least six credit hours
- Must be in good standing with the Office of Community Standards & Student Conduct
- Must successfully pass an Illinois State security background check
- Commitment to excellent customer service
- Basic knowledge of computers and technology
- Willingness to learn new skills
- Self-directed with excellent time management skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Must work minimum six hours per week
Starting Pay Rate
$8.50 per hour