Desk Assistant Position
Thank you for your application.
Residence Hall Operations is a 24/7 reception desk that is a central information hub for the Residence Halls. This area provides a variety of services to students, faculty, and community members of Northern Illinois University. Your role is to serve as a leader for the residents of your hall. This position requires you to be well organized, assertive, responsive, and have the ability to build a positive rapport with students, all levels of hall staff, and general public. Desk Operations is a functioning state of the residential community, and it is important to remember that your actions at the front desk must remain under a "customer service" manner.
All those that meet minimum requirements should receive an interview. We will be interviewing November 16 and November 17, 2017. Training for Desk Assistants begins on January 11, 2018.
Your employment is contingent on the following:
- Enrollment: In order to remain eligible for student employment you must maintain an enrollment of at least 12 credit hours for each semester of employment. International undergraduate students must maintain 12 credit hours. International graduate students must maintain 9 credit hours.
- GPA: Undergraduates must maintain a minimum GPA of 2.0; Graduate students must maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0.
- Hours Restriction: As a student employee you may work up to 20 hours per week while classes are in session. This includes a combination of hours from ALL campus jobs. You may only work 7.5 hours per day (11:00 p.m. – 11:00 p.m.). Desk Staff is expected to work during holidays, breaks, and finals.
- Security Background: The Illinois Campus Security Act requires that all individuals on university campuses who are employed in security sensitive positions have a verified criminal background check. Throughout the duration of your employment you MUST pass a criminal background check to maintain your position.
- Conduct: Student employees MUST maintain good standing with the Northern Illinois University Office of Community Standards & Student Conduct.
- Residency: ALL Desk Assistants are required to reside in one of the residence halls throughout the duration of employment. This does not, however, require that you reside in your location of employment. Also, staff are required to return to campus early for formal training. Failure to arrive for training will immediately disqualify you from your offered position.
- Monitors the safety and security of individuals and the Residence Hall areas by following Northern Illinois University and Housing and Residential Services policies and procedures in responding and reporting safety and security issues.
- Acts as a resources/referral agent and willingly provides accurate information to individuals within the Residence Halls.
- Greets and makes eye contact with individuals at first appearance at the Front Desk. If the staff member is answering a work-related phone call, it is their responsibility to make eye contact to acknowledge the guest’s presence.
- Assists residents with lockouts and issues temporary keys and cards, by completing the appropriate paperwork and steps in Front Desk Buddy.
- Answers the phone promptly and uses appropriate phone etiquette when speaking with guests.
- Maintains the desk and area surrounding the desk by keeping a clean and safe environment for students and visitors.
- Possesses a helpful and customer service oriented demeanor at all times.
- Performs any duties for Residence Hall Complex Coordinator, Hall Directors, Chief Clerk, and Desk Operations Graduate Assistant.
- Maintains a neat, professional appearance while working.
- Follows all Housing and Residential Services and Northern Illinois University policies and procedures while utilizing NIU equipment, including computer and applications.
- Refrains from using personal cell phone while working.
- Follows all federal guidelines when handling mail and packages. Uses Front Desk Buddy to verify addresses of residence hall students.
- Regularly checks the Logbook to verify important information for their shift and completes the logbook entry at the end of their shift.
- Completes guest registration paperwork for Residence Hall students registering guests.
- Contact Community Advisor staff or Hall Director as needed.
- Follow all federal guidelines when handling mail and packages. Use Front Desk Buddy to verify addresses of residence hall students and places mail and package slips in appropriate mailbox.
- Assure that all Residence Hall Doors are unlocked at 7 a.m. and locked at 11 p.m.
- Other duties as assigned.