- For open positions at NIU, see NIU job listings.
Departments with Professional Staff
- Residential Life
- Business Affairs
- Residential Administration
- Residential Facilities
- Residential Technology
- Meal Plan (when dining services are in operation on campus)
- Professional development funds
- Tuition waiver for up to eight hours of course work per semester and six hours in the summer
- All state benefits: health, dental and vision insurance and contributions towards retirement
- HR Benefits
- Some full-time staff receive a furnished one- or two-bedroom apartment. Complex Coordinators receive a two-bedroom, one-bath apartment. Apartment includes local phone, cable services, and high-speed internet.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the benefits and salaries of Housing & Residential Services Employees?
Professional Staff salaries are contingent on education and experience. Learn about benefits for NIU employees and state benefits from the Illinois Department of Central Management Services. Some graduate staff members and full-time staff receive a furnished one- or two-bedroom apartment.
What Types of Diversity and Equity Resources Are There at NIU?
- Asian American Center - The Asian American Resource Center actively assists in the recruitment and retention of Asian-American students at NIU. The center focuses on providing student support services, leadership development, student organizational outreach, and diverse programming including educational, cultural, and social events.
- Disability Resource Center - NIU has established the Center for Access-Ability Resources to ensure that its academic and campus facilities are available to all students, faculty, and staff.
- Latino Resource Center - The Latino Resource Center focuses on student-centered service by developing partnerships focused on student learning while establishing an inclusive community that builds collaborative relationships across campus.
- Gender & Sexuality Resource Center - The Gender & Sexuality Resource Center acknowledges the historical impacts of women and lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and/or queer identities. They are a home away from home for all persons, inclusive of sexual and gender identities, and all forms of masculinity and femininity.
- Center for Black Studies - The Center for Black Studies is an interdisciplinary academic program that offers undergraduate courses relating to African and African-American life and history.
What are the policies on pets for live-in staff members?
NIU full-time live-in staff members are allowed to have fish and any caged animals. Dogs and cats are not currently allowed under the pet policy.
How do I find information about the Clery Act?
Northern Illinois University, Housing & Residential Services, and the local DeKalb community provide many services to create and maintain a safe environment. Our goal is to educate staff and residents by providing training that promotes prevention of crimes and policy violations. With the training and services provided, we also encourage our staff and student population to act responsibly. To learn more about our safety reports and statistics, please visit the Clery Act - Safety and Security Report page for more information on the Clery Act.