Thank you for contributing to the success of the University Honors Program. This page is designed as a resource for you. If you do not find the information you are seeking, please do not hesitate to contact us at 815-753-0694 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Key Documents & Faculty Resources
- Types of University Honors Courses
- Guidelines for University Honors Mini-Sections
- Student Guidelines for Honors Capstone and Capstone Application
- Faculty Guidelines for Honors Capstone
- Rubrics for Evaluating Honors Students' Work
In-Course Honors Contracts
We recommend that students take a designated Honors course whenever possible. In the event that the student is unable to take a designated Honors course, due to scheduling availability or having to take major requirements that aren't traditionally offered as Honors. We recommend that they pursue an In-Course Contract to satisfy their Honors requirements for the semester. Please refer to In-Course Honors Guidelines for more detailed information on how such classes are structured.
If you are teaching an undergraduate who maintains a 3.2 GPA or above and is interested in joining the University Honors Program, please encourage the student to schedule an appointment with an advisor at the University Honors Center. Appointments can be made by telephone at 815-753-0694, e-mail at email@example.com or in person at the University Honors Center in Campus Life Building 110, Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
The University Honors Center in Campus Life Building 110 offers meeting and classroom space options:
- Capstone Library - Seats about 12 around a seminar table
- Large classroom/small classroom - A movable wall allows this space to be adjusted to fit smaller or larger groups. The room is equipped with smart classroom technology.
To reserve space in the University Honors Center, please call 815-753-0694.
The University Honors Committee is comprised of faculty, administrators, and students to advise, evaluate and make recommendations to the University Honors Program. For more information, please visit www.niu.edu/u_council/committees
University Honors Great Professor Award Recipients
This annual, university-wide award recognizes NIU faculty and staff for their leadership, dedication and service to the University Honors Program.
- 2016 - Masih Shokrani
- 2015 - Madelyn Kerbach Anderson & Tim Pierce
- 2014 - Nicholas Pohlman
- 2013 - Tim Ryan
- 2012 - Rebecca Houze
- 2011 - Dennis Barsema
- 2010 - Nancy Castle
- 2009 - Jason Hawke
- 2008 - Christopher Jones
- 2007 - Judy Santacaterina
- 2006 - Steve Franklin
- 2005 - Carol Demoranville
- 2004 - Thomas Roberts
- 2003 - Gary Glenn
- 2002 - Nancy Nuzzo
- 2001 - C. Daniel Dillman