I am currently working on a book titled From China’s Daughters to All-American Girls, dealing with the history of intercountry adoption from China.
- Autocracy and China's Rebel Founding Emperors: Comparing Chairman Mao and Ming Taizu (with John A. Rapp), Boulder: Rowman and Littlefield 2000.
- Assessing the Ming Founder: Historical Studies of Zhu Yuanzhang, 1981-1991, editor, special issue of Chinese Studies in History
- “Remonstrance and the Chinese Scholar” (co-authored with Robert LaFleur, Beloit College), Education About Asia, Volume 19, Number 2, Fall 2014.
- “Hai Rui, 1514-1587,” Berkshire Dictionary of Chinese Biography, December 2013.
- “China’s Abandoned Children and Transnational Adoption: Issues and Problems for U.S.-China Relations, Adoption Agencies, and Adoptive Parents”, part of a special issue on women and international adoption issues, Journal of Women’s History (Volume 19, Number 1, 2007, pp. 123-131).
- HIST 140 Asia to 1500
- HIST 344 History of Ancient China
- HIST 345 History of China Since the T'ang Dynasty
- HIST 445 The Chinese Revolution
Ph.D., University of Minnesota, 1991