International Student Admissions
NIU only recognizes degrees awarded by regionally accredited institutions or foreign institutions that have equivalent recognition. For example, if you are from India, we consider institutions recognized by the University Grants Commission (UGC), designated by the UGC as deemed to be a university, or designated as an Institute of National Importance as possessing the equivalent to regional accreditation.
Normally, to be considered for admission, a non-U.S. citizen shall have completed a four-year undergraduate degree.
However, if you have received a three-year degree awarded through the Bologna process in Europe or a three-year Bachelor of Commerce or Bachelor of Business Administration awarded in India (provided that you are seeking admission to the MBA or OMIS program), you are eligible to apply. If you possess a three-year BCOM or BBA from India, you must have received the degree from an institution that is accredited by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council with a grade of “A” or better or the equivalent at the time of award.
If you have received a three-year degree from another institution, you will be eligible to apply only if you are given permission by the academic program office. The program office must inform the Graduate School of its decision. View a full list of our academic graduate programs and corresponding contact information.
Generally, you must have achieved a 2.75 grade point average on a 4.0 scale or the equivalent to be considered for admission.
Before your application for admission to a degree-granting program can be considered, the Graduate School must receive:
- An application with the required application fee
- A statement of purpose
- Letters of recommendation. The program website indicates the number of letters required. Letters must be submitted by professional or academic referees who can attest to your suitability for admission to the program.
- Official IELTS (minimum 6.5 overall) or TOEFL (minimum 80) score received directly from the testing agency. The Graduate School accepts electronic uploads of scores, if the testing agency uploads the scores to us.
- Official GRE or GMAT test scores received directly from the testing agency. The Graduate School accepts electronic uploads of scores, if the testing agency uploads the scores to us.
- Official attested academic records from each college attended in English and the native language. Read more information about specific requirements to apply to NIU's graduate school programs.