Fall 2016 Teaching Assistant Orientation
Registration will start in July
Tuesday, August 16, 2016
8:00 am to 3:30 pm
Duke Ellington Ballroom, Holmes Student Center
At this orientation, graduate teaching assistants will learn the basic principles of teaching and related responsibilities, gather information about campus support resources, and network with other GAs, faculty, and resource staff. While it is designed for new graduate assistants, continuing graduate assistants will also benefit from the orientation. The day's sessions are presented by NIU faculty, staff, and administrators who are knowledgeable and experienced in the topics.
Below is the tentative agenda
A detailed schedule will be available soon
This orientation is open to all graduate teaching assistants, research assistants, and staff assistants at NIU. The orientation is designed for new graduate assistants, but continuing graduate assistants are welcome to attend. The sessions cover general teaching and teaching-related responsibilities which are applicable to all disciplines; individual departments may provide more detailed discipline-specific training. The Faculty Development and Instructional Design Center does not require graduate assistants to attend the Teaching Assistant Orientation, but individual departments may require their graduate assistants to attend. Please check with your department about participation requirements.
Registration will open in July.
After registering, if you are unable to attend, please cancel your registration at http://facdev.niu.edu/myprograms by Monday, August 15, 2016.
Questions? View our FAQ or click on one of the most common questions below.
- Who may attend the Teaching Assistant Orientation?
- Who is the Teaching Assistant Orientation designed for?
- Is attendance at the Teaching Assistant Orientation required?
- Should returning graduate assistants attend the Teaching Assistant Orientation?
- I have another meeting or orientation the same day as the Teaching Assistant Orientation. May I attend only part of the day?
- I can't attend the Teaching Assistant Orientation. Is there another way to get the information that is presented?
- Is attendance at the Teaching Assistant Orientation necessary to earn the Graduate Teaching Certificate?
- Is there a fee for attending the Teaching Assistant Orientation?
- Will I be given a parking pass to attend the Teaching Assistant Orientation?
- I registered, but now I can't attend. How do I cancel my registration?
- I'm a graduate assistant, but I do not teach. Is the Teaching Assistant Orientation relevant to me?
Last Updated: 4/11/2016