Fall 2011 Teaching Assistant Orientation
Tuesday, August 16, 2011
8:00 am to 3:15 pm
This orientation will introduce graduate teaching assistants to basic principles of teaching and related responsibilities, share information about campus support resources, and provide networking opportunities. Both new and continuing graduate assistants will benefit from the day’s sessions, which are presented by NIU faculty, staff, and administrators who are knowledgeable and experienced in the topics. Below is the tentative agenda:
This orientation is open to all graduate teaching assistants, research assistants, and staff assistants at NIU. The orientation is designed for new graduate assistants, but continuing graduate assistants are welcome to attend. The sessions cover general teaching and teaching-related responsibilities which are applicable to all disciplines. The Faculty Development and Instructional Design Center does not require graduate assistants to attend the TA Orientation, but individual departments may require their graduate assistants to attend. Please check with your department about participation requirements.
Registration Deadline: Friday, August 12, 2011
Registered participants will receive orientation materials, refreshments, lunch, and a certificate of participation. Due to the expensive nature of the program, limited seats available, and advance notice required for arrangements, please register by the deadline and attend the entire orientation. A certificate of participation will only be awarded for attending the entire program.
The registration response will be sent to your NIU email account. After submitting the registration form, if you do not receive a response within 2 working days, please contact the Center at firstname.lastname@example.org. After registering, if you are unable to attend, please cancel your registration by Monday, August 15, 2011 by completing the TAO Cancellation Form.
Questions? View our FAQ or click on a question below.
- Who may attend the Teaching Assistant Orientation?
- Who is TAO designed for?
- Is attendance at TAO required?
- Should returning graduate assistants attend TAO?
- I have another meeting or orientation the same day as TAO. May I attend only part of the day?
- I can't attend TAO. Is there another way to get the information that is presented?
- Is attendance at TAO necessary to earn the Graduate Teaching Certificate?
- Is there a fee for attending TAO?
- Will I be given a parking pass to attend TAO?
- I registered, but now I can't attend. How do I cancel my registration?
- I'm a graduate assistant, but I do not teach. Is TAO relevant to me?
Last Updated: 12/04/2014