- Faculty Development
- Recognizing and Embracing Cultural Communications and Sensitivity in the Classroom
Graduate Teaching Assistant Panel Discussion
Click the "Register Here!" button above to log in and register online
Recognizing and Embracing Cultural Communications and Sensitivity in the Classroom
Thursday, March 2, 2017
Check-in: 2:00 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Panel: 2:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
University Suite, Holmes Student Center
This panel discussion will help you to adapt and adjust the way you communicate and recognize cross cultural differences in your courses, which is just as important as teaching your subject matter. With proper training, you can appreciate the value that other cultures bring to the classroom while maintaining your own cultural identity. Participants will practice with activities that will be applicable in their teaching.
This workshop will:
- Help you adopt a multicultural mindset to recognize the value that other cultures bring to the classroom.
- Address invisible and subtle differences between people of different cultures.
- Include an interactive practice activity and feedback to help you become more sensitive to cultural differences.
- Provide you with resources and tools for support about differences that can be used for effective and efficient classroom instruction.
- Sim Chin, Director, International Student and Faculty Office
- Molly Holmes, Director, Gender and Sexuality Resource Center
- Debra Miller, Director, Disability Resource Center
Faculty Development and Instructional Design Center
This workshop is open to NIU graduate teaching assistants. Advance registration is required.
Registration Deadline: Friday, February 24, 2017. Please register online here.
After you register, if you are unable to attend, please cancel your registration by Monday, February 27, 2017 at http://facdev.niu.edu/myprograms so that those on the waiting list may be given the opportunity to attend the workshop or program costs can be reduced.
Last Updated: 1/30/2017