Northern Lights Ambassadors (NLA)
The Northern Lights Ambassador Program is a co-coordinated by the Office of Student Engagement & Experiential Learning and The Office of Student Academic Success and partners with each of the six undergraduate colleges and the Alumni Association.
NLAs are a select group of undergraduate students who demonstrate academic excellence, responsibility, and reliability. These students embody integrity, respect, and flexibility and exhibit leadership qualities, positive attitudes, and pride in NIU.
This group is comprised of students from every undergraduate college who serve for one year in an NLA position.
The application process for the 2016-2017 Northern Lights Ambassadors is currently CLOSED. NLA applications for next year will be due in February 2017 to be considered. Colleges will review applications and students will be notified the first week of March. Finalists will be invited to participate in an interview. Selected students will be notified of final decisions by the end of March and must commit to serving from August 2017 to May 2018.
NLAs take on a variety of roles including, but not limited to the following.
- Liaison - NLAs may provide tours and assist with Open Houses, college-wide receptions, and programs for prospective students
- Host – NLAs may accompany visitors, serve as a representative at various faculty and administrative meetings, and meet with donors
- Retention Assistant - NLAs may assist the Student Success Specialist in their college with college-specific student success programs
- Public Relations Assistant - NLAs may serve in college publications, photos, and stories as needed
- Engagement champion – NLAs encourage fellow students to get involved in engaged learning activities (i.e. service, research, etc.)
Students must be sophomores, juniors or seniors in good standing with a declared major within the college. Students must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher and a demonstrated involvement in engaged learning activities. Students selected as an NLA must be available to attend monthly meetings on the first Monday of the month from 4 p.m. -6 p.m.
Contact the Northern Lights Ambassadors Co-Coordinators at NLA@niu.edu. For additional or immediate assistance, contact the Office of Student Engagement & Experiential Learning staff at 815-753-8154 or the Office of Student Academic Success at 815-753-5721.