Advising Procedures

All Electrical Engineering students must complete and submit an advising form every semester.  Undergraduates may check Who is My Advisor? to search for your advisor's name according to your Z-ID.

Course offerings, as they become available, may be found online at  MyNIU.  Also, a departmental schedule of classes and labs may be viewed, as available, from the Electrical Engineering website under Course Offerings.

Which courses transfer from Illinois community colleges?  Course comparisons may be found in the Articulation Handbook.

Prior to each semester, all ELE undergraduate students should:

  1. Print a copy of your Degree Progress Report (DPR) in MyNIU.  Thoroughly review your report.  Obtain an advising form from the ELE office, room EB 330.
  2. Meet with your advisor.  Stop in during the advisor's open office hours or contact your advisor directly for an appointment.  Watch for advising sign-up sheets to be posted on the advisor's office door during the primary enrollment periods (November for fall semester and April for spring semester). 
  3. Complete the form with your advisor based on your DPR.  Ask questions!  All information requested on the form must be completed.  When finished, both you and the advisor need to sign and date the form in the space provided.
  4. Return the approved and signed form to the ELE office, EB 330, to have the advising hold cleared.  All engineering undergraduate students will have this hold on their registration until they have met with their advisors and returned the signed form.
  5. Register for classes in MyNIU during the self-service enrollment period.  Watch your Student Center for your individual enrollment date assigned by Registration and Records.

Be sure to set aside ample time to complete the advising process.  Register early to help ensure the availability of your desired classes.  When returning your completed advising form, please allow at least 24 hours before your actual registration period begins to assure adequate processing time.    

Obtaining permission does not guarantee you a seat in the class.  You still must register during the appropriate enrollment period.  To register, log onto MyNIU.

Undecided majors or students thinking of changing majors should visit the Academic Advising Center.

Graduate Students:

Obtain an advising form from the ELE office and meet with your assigned advisor prior to course registration.


Academic Requirements

The new Academic Requirements report has now replaced the degree progress report as the statement of your progress toward completing the university requirements for graduation. 

You should check your progress report in MyNIU at least once per semester, especially after grades are posted and prior to speaking with your advisor about new classes or academic progress.

Integrated B.S./M.S. Sequence

Check with your Faculty Advisor to have your schedule approved each semester.