Employment Outlook for Students
with a Graduate Degree in Economics
According to the U.S. Department of Labor, employment of economists is expected to grow 20-30 percent in the near future due to the continued need for economic analyses by financial analysts, lawyers, accountants, marketing researchers, urban and regional planners, and many others. Those skilled in quantitative techniques and their application to economic modeling and forecasting should have the best job opportunities.
The market continues to be strong for economists with graduate degrees from NIU. Masters students with good quantitative, problem-solving, and communication skills are highly sought after by private employers in the Chicago area and our PhD students continue to get offers from academic, public-sector, and private-sector employers.
Recent United States employers include:
- Allstate Insurance
- Barat College
- Computer Horizons, Inc
- First Card/ First USA
- First National Bank of Marin Las Vegas
- Hewitt Associates
- Household Finance
- HSBC North America
- Illinois Council on Economic Education
- Information Resources Incorporated (IRI)
- Lake County Administrator's Office
- Lexecon, Inc.
- Mount Union College, Ohio
- Lake Forest College, Illinois
- Purdue University at Calumet
- R.W. Baird and Associates
- Robert Morris College
- The Manchester School
- The Signature Group
- United Airlines
- University of Chicago Medical Sciences Center
- University of North Carolina at Pembroke
Professor Jeremy Groves is the Placement Officer for NIU's Economics graduate students. You can email him at firstname.lastname@example.org or call him at 815-753-5747.