Steven E. Nord, Professor Emeritus
Professor Nord received his Ph.D. degree in 1977 from the University of Illinois and held a faculty appointment at the University of Miami before coming to Northern Illinois University in 1979. He also taught at the University of Illinois at Urbana - Thomas Nelson College. He received outstanding teaching awards at each of the universities. He received grants from the Economic Development Administration of the Department of Commerce and from the MacArthur Foundation.
After 28 years of dedicated teaching and research for NIU, Professor Nord retired in the spring of 2007. He continues to teach for the Department of Economics.
Current Research: distribution of income, discrimination, and the racial inequality of earnings
Area of Specialization: Urban economics, Regional economics
- "Regional Skill Structure and the Diffusion of Technology," Atlantic Economic Journal, March 2005, Volume 33, No. 1, pp. 115-131 (with J. Mullen and M. Williams).
- "Sectoral Productivity and The Distribution of Wages," Industrial Relations, April 1999, Vol. 38, No. 2, pp. 215-230.
- "Discrimination and Unemployment Durations of White and Black Males." Applied Economics, October 1994, Vol. 45, No. 4 (with Y. Ting).
- "Service Industries and the Working Poor in Major Metropolitan Areas in the United States." Sources of Metropolitan Growth and Development, (Edwin Mills and John F. McDonald, editors), New Brunswick, N.J.: Center for Urban Policy Research, 1993 (with R. G. Sheets).
- "The Impact of Advance Notice: A Rejoinder." Industrial and Labor Relations Review, Vol. 45, No. 4, July 1992, pp. 674-682 (with Y. Ting).
- "The Impact of Advance Notice of Plant Closings on Earnings and the Probability of Unemployment." Industrial and Labor Relations Review, Vol. 44, No. 4, July 1991, pp. 681-691 (with Y. Ting).
- "Service Industries, Two-Working Spouse Families, and the Distribution of Earnings in Metropolitan Areas." Review of Economics and Statistics, Vol. 62, No. 4, November 1990, pp. 692-696.
- "The Relationship Between Labor Force Participation, Service Sector Employment and Underemployment." Journal of Regional Science, Vol. 29, No. 3, August 1989, pp. 407-421 (with R. G. Sheets). The Impact of Service Industries on Underemployment in Metropolitan Economics, Lexington, Massachusetts: Lexington Books, D. C. Heath and Company, 1987 (with R. G. Sheets and J. J. Phelps).
- "Urban Income Distribution and the Urban Hierarchy-Equality Hypotheses: A Comment." Review of Economics and Statistics, August 1982, Vol. 64, No. 3, pp. 537-540.
- "Income Inequality and City Size: An Examination of Alternative Hypotheses for Large and Small Cities." Review of Economic and Statistics, November 1980, Vol. 62, No. 4., pp. 502-508.
- "An Empirical Analysis of Income Inequality and City Size." Southern Economic Journal, January 1980, Vol. 46, No. 3, pp. 863-872.
Office: ZH 506