Eliakim Katz, Professor
Professor Katz received his M.Sc. in Economics from London University and his Ph.D. in 1976, also from London University. Before coming to NIU, he was a professor of economics at York University, London University, Bar-Ilan University, and was a visiting scholar at Harvard University.
Area of Specialization: Microeconomics, Labor
Current Research: political economy, applied microeconomics, institutional economics, political aspects of corporate behavior, labor economics and nonprofit institutions
- "An Economic Theory of Volunteering," forthcoming, European Review of Political Economy, (with J. Rosenberg).
- "On Human Capital Formation with Exit Options," 2005, Journal of Population Economics, 18:267-274 (with H. Rapoport).
- "Property Rights, Theft, Amnesty and Efficiency," 2003, European Journal of Law and Economics (with J. Rosenberg).
- "A Positive Theory of Immigration Amnesties," Economics Letters, Vol. 78, 2003, pp. 231-239 (with S. Karlson).
- "Managing the Risk of Relative Price Changes by Splitting Index Linked Bonds," Journal of Risk, 2001 (with A. Aziz and E. Prisman).
- "An Alternative Interpretation of the Fair Wage Hypothesis," Economics Letters, 2001, (with Carl Campbell).
- "Corporate Taxation, Incumbency Advantage and Entry," European Economic Review, 1996, (with Elie Appelbaum).
- "Wage Secrecy as a Social Convention," Economic Inquiry, 1996, (with L. Danziger).
- "Negative Intergroup Externalities and Market Demand," Economica, 1996, (with U. Spiegel).
- "A Theory of Sex Discrimination," 1996, Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, (with L. Danziger).
- "Arbitrage, Clientele Effects and the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis," 1991, (with E. Z. Prisman), 435-443.
- "Investment in General Training: The Role of Information and Labour Mobility," Economic Journal, 1990, (with A. Ziderman), 1147-1158.
- "Rent Seeking Versus Flexibility," Public Choice, 1990, (with J.B. Smith), 67-77.
- "International Migration in the Presence of Asymmetric Information," Economic Journal, 1987, (with O. Stark).
- "Hierarchical Structure and the Social Costs of Bribes and Transfers," Journal of Public Economics, 1987, (with A.L. Hillman).
- "Seeking Rents by Setting Rents: The Political Economy of Rent Seeking," Economic Journal, 1987, (with E. Appelbaum), 685-699.
- "Measures of Risk Aversion and Comparative Statics of Industry Equilibria," American Economic Review, 1986, (with E. Appelbaum).
- "Rural to Urban Migration in LDCs in the Presence of Risk Aversion," Journal of Labor Economics, 1986, (with O. Stark).
- "Risk Averse Rent Seekers and the Social Cost of Monopoly Power," Economic Journal, March 1984, (with A.L. Hillman).
- "A Rule for Signing the Effect of Uncertainty on an Optimization Problem with Two Control Variables," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, 1984
- "The Firm and Price Hedging in an Imperfect Market," International Economic Review, February 1984.
- "Price Uncertainty and the Price Discriminating Firm in International Trade," International Economic Review, June 1983, (with J. Paroush and N. Kahana).
- "Inflation Variability, Real Wage Variability and Production Efficiency," Economica, November 1983, (with Rosenberg).
- "Market Constraints as a Rationale for the Friedman-Savage Utility Function," Journal Of Political Economy, August 1981, (with E. Appelbaum).
- "A Note on a Comparative Statics Theorem for Choice Under Risk," Journal of Economic Theory, October 1981.
- "Money, Saving and Portfolio Choice Under Uncertainty," American Economic Review, June 1978, (with A.H. Vanags).
- "Interest Rates, Expectations and Exchange Rate Stability," Economic Journal, June 1975.
Office: ZH 512
T 6:00-8:40 DU 280
W 9:00-11:40 DU 280