Stephen Karlson, Associate Professor
Professor Karlson earned a Ph.D. in economics from the University of Wisconsin at Madison in 1980. Before joining the Northern Illinois University faculty in 1986 he taught at Wayne State University in Michigan. He has served as an environmental and energy policy scientist with Argonne National Laboratory and is currently director of the Office of Economic Education for Northern Illinois University and weblog manager for the Cold Spring Shops.
Current Research: Irreversible investments in heavy industry and problems of self-selection
Area of Specialization: Microeconomics, Industrial Organization
Other Areas of Interest: Model railroads, racing laser class sailboats
- "Immigration Amnesties" (with Eliakim Katz) submitted to Applied Economics.
- "Immigration Policies that Encourage Self-Selection by Legal and Illegal Immigrants" (with Eliakim Katz) submitted to Contemporary Economic Policy.
- "Do Irreversible Investment Models Make Sense of the Energy Paradox" submitted to Energy Journal.
- "A Positive Theory of Immigration Amnesties," Economics Letters, Vol. 78, 2003, pp. 231-239 (with E. Katz).
- "Potential for Steel Industry Energy Intensity Improvements: Electricity Use in Minimills." Contemporary Policy Issues, Vol. 11, No. 3, July 1993, pp. 88-100 (with G.A. Boyd, M. Neifer and M. Ross).
- "The Impact of Energy Prices on Technology Choice in the Unites States Steel Industry." Energy Journal, Vol. 14, No. 2, 1993, pp. 47-56 (with G.A. Boyd).
- "The Effect of Fringe Benefits on Employment Fluctuations in U.S. Automobile Manufacturing." Review of Economics and Statistics, Vol. 73, February 1991, pp. 40-49 (with D.J. Smyth).
- "Competition and Cement Basing Points: F.O.B. Destination, Delivered from Where?" Journal of Regional Science, Vol. 30, February 1990, pp. 75-88.
- "Adoption of Competing Inventions by U.S. Steel Producers." The Review of Economics and Statistics, Vol. 68, August 1986, pp. 4l5-22.
- "Multiple-Output Production and Pricing in Electric Utilities." Southern Economic Journal, Vol. 53, July 1986, pp. 73-86.
- "Spatial Competition with Location-Dependent Costs." Journal of Regional Science, Vol. 25, May 1985, pp. 20l-l4.
- "Modeling Location and Production: An Application to U.S. Fully Integrated Steel Plants." The Review of Economics and Statistics, Vol. 65, February 1983, pp. 4l-50.
- "The Electric Power Industry: An Econometric Model of Intertemporal Behavior." Land Economics, Vol. 56, August 1980, pp. 299-3l4 (with F.M. Gollop).
- "The Impact of the Fuel Adjustment Mechanism on Economic Efficiency." The Review of Economics and Statistics, Vol. 60, November 1978, pp. 574-84 (with F.M. Gollop).
MWTH 2:00-3:15 &
TTH 3:30-4:45 DU 240
TTH 12:30-1:45 RH 209