The state of Illinois is well-positioned as a Midwestern, national and global leader in science and technology research and development, because of the breadth of Illinois’ innovation assets and resources.
Northern Illinois University (NIU) serves a diverse region of urban, suburban and rural communities across the top quarter of the state, and this service region contains about 80 percent of Illinois’ population and 90 percent of its industry and business.
NIU is committed to fostering innovation by continually creating new products, partnerships and processes that bring value to the region. To this end, Division of Research and Graduate studies encourages public-private collaborations and strives to help faculty, students and staffs make relevant connections. Useful resources are listed below:
- 1871 (co-working center for digital startups)
- Argonne National Laboratory
- Chicago Innovation Mentors
- Chicago Booth Entrepreneurial Roundtable
- Chicago Council on Science and Technology (C2ST)
- Illinois Biotechnology Industry Organization
- Illinois Innovation Network
- Illinois Innovation Ecosystem
- Illinois Manufacturing Excellence Center
- Illinois Science and Technology Coalition (ISTC)
- Illinois Technology Parks