- Facilities and Administrative (F&A) Waiver Request Form (DOC)
This form is used to request a waiver of F&A costs for a specific project and is used in-line with the NIU policy on F&A Cost Recovery.
- Institutional Prior Approval System (IPAS) Paper version (DOC)
The electronic IPAS form accompanies agency prior approval requests as a means of communicating the proposed change with appropriate institution officials and to vet compliance actions relevant to the proposed change. The form is used in-line with NIU policy Managing Project Changes on Federal Awards. Once completed, the form will automatically route to the Department Chair and SPA.
- NIU Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) Cost Share Template (DOC)
This form is used to outline cost sharing expectations for non-NIU entities that are contributing costs (cash or in-kind) towards a NIU sponsored project. The form is completed during the NIU award acceptance stage and is only used when the non-NIU entity will not receive project funds either through a subaward or other professional service agreement.
- Subrecipient Commitment Form (PDF)
A non-NIU organization identified as a subrecipient on a NIU proposal or award must complete this form as a means of obtaining appropriate certifications and clearances relevant to external funding.
- Subrecipient Mini-Audit Questionnaire (PDF)
This form should be completed as required in conjunction with the Subrecipient Commitment Form.
- Grant Funded Working Fund Request (PDF)
- Request to Add Grant Account to P-Card (PDF)
- Cost Transfer Request (PDF)
This form is used in conjunction with the Cost Transfer policy and must be completed for transfers requested after 90 days of the original transaction date.
Training Materials and Presentations
Get guidance on SPA policies and NIU research policies pertaining to the grant proposal process and fiscal and managerial aspects of awards.
Sponsored Funding and Research Administration Policies
- Budgeting Indirect Costs (PDF)
- Budgeting Tuition Remission (PDF)
- Charging Costs to an Award Prior to Award Acceptance (PDF)
- Cost Transfers (PDF)
- Deadlines for Submitting Proposals for External Funding (PDF)
- Domestic and Foreign Travel for Sponsored Programs (PDF)
- Indirect Cost Distribution (PDF)
- Managing Participant Support Costs (PDF)
- Managing Project Changes (PDF)
- Managing Residual Funds (PDF)
- PI and Co-PI Eligibility, Roles, and Responsibilities (PDF)
- Subrecipient Monitoring (PDF)
Research and Research Integrity Policies
- Conflict of Interest
- Institutional Animal Care and Use (IACUC)
- Intellectual Property and Patents
- Protection of Human Subjects in Research (IRB)
- Research Integrity
The federal government has a vested interest in the responsible management of the grants process from beginning to end. This section links to federal policies surrounding the allocation of grant funds and the research enterprise.
A summary of the changes in Federal regulations that apply to grants and cooperative agreements and how NIU is responding to them.
Federal Uniform Guidance Date: 11/17/2014
Guidance on budgeting and charging small electronic computing devices (e.g. iPads) on sponsored projects.
Guidance on budgeting and charging administrative and clerical salaries on sponsored projects.
Federal regulations 2 C.F.R. Part 220, Cost Principles for Educational Institutions and 31 U.S.C. Section 1352, Byrd Amendment. This section explains the university's responsibilities under federal lobbying regulations as they relate to federal proposals and awards.
Federal Lobbying Policy (PDF) Date: 4/17/2014
The principle rules outlining federal procurement (contract) actions.
The Excluded Parties List identifies those parties excluded throughout the U.S. Government from receiving Federal contracts or certain subcontracts and from certain types of Federal financial and nonfinancial assistance and benefits.
Travel under federal awards must comply with the Fly American Act.
The Bureau of Industry and Security is charged with the development, implementation and interpretation of U.S. export control policy for dual-use commodities, software, and technology.
The Office of Foreign Asset Control administers and enforces economic sanctions programs primarily against countries and groups of individuals, such as terrorists and narcotics traffickers.
Foreign travel under federal awards must comply with both NIU and federal Foreign Per Diem Rates at put forth by the U.S. Department of State.
Federal Research Sponsors Rules and Regulations
- Department of Education Grants and Contracts (ED.gov)
- Department of Energy (DOE)--Grant Rules, Regulations, and Guidance
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)--Laws and Regulations
- NIH (National Institutes of Health) Grants Policy & Guidances
- NSF National Science Foundation) Policies & Procedures
- NSF Grant and Agreement Conditions
- ONR (Office of Naval Research) Research Grant Terms & Conditions
- US Army Research Office
- US Department of Agriculture (USDA)
Contact UsSponsored Programs Administration
203 Lowden Hall
Northern Illinois University
DeKalb, IL 60115-2828